Re: 'Slow-Start Restart after Idle' draft

  • Keith Owens
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 22, 1998
      On Thu, 22 Oct 1998 15:51:39 -0700 (PDT),
      Joe Touch <touch@...> wrote:
      >[ACK-burst stuff]
      >The caveat is that these mechanisms, like slow-start restart,
      >should be disabled on a LAN. We hadn't put that in the latest
      >draft, but it is in the revision. It's the same check as slow-start -
      >if the net prefixes match, ignore the code.

      Not having seen the revision yet, what happens if the "LAN" has stubs
      behind slower links that are reached using proxy ARP? Network prefixes
      will match, turn off all the congestion mechanisms and overload the
      slow links. Of course we could break our nice flat backbone into lots
      of subnets and reprogram all the desktop configurations ...