[tcl_announce] moodss-4.2.1 - modular spreadsheet in Tcl/Tk

  • Jean-Luc Fontaine
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 25, 1998
      Hi everybody: here is a new version of moodss.

      Check it out! (at least the screenshot at
      http://www.mygale.org/~jfontain/moodss3.jpg :).

      ### CHANGES ###

      *** version 4.2.1 ***
      tested with tkTable 2.3 and BLT 2.4e on Linux
      BLT 2.4e required on UNIX platforms
      on UNIX, use libBLT.so.2.4 instead of libBLT2.4.so naming
      Linux BLT and tkTable binaries posted on my homepage

      ### README ###

      This is moodss (Modular Object Oriented Dynamic SpreadSheet) version
      4.2.1. Moodss is implemented in the great Tcl language (requires at
      least versions 8.0 of Tcl and Tk, for UNIX or Windows).

      Moodss is a modular application. It displays data described and
      updated in one or more independent modules loaded when the application
      is started. Data is originally displayed in tables. Graphical views
      (graph, bar, 3D pie charts, ...) and summary tables (with current,
      average, minimum and maximum values) can be created from any number of
      table cells through a simple drag'n'drop operation. Table rows can be
      sorted in increasing or decreasing order by clicking on column
      titles. The current configuration (modules, tables and viewers
      geometry, ...) can be saved in a file at any time, and later reused
      through a command line switch, thus achieving a dashboard
      functionality.

      The module code is the link between the moodss core and the data to be
      displayed. All the specific code is kept in the module package. Since
      module data access is entirely customizable (through C code, Tcl,
      HTTP, ...) and since several modules can be loaded at once,
      applications for moodss become limitless. For example, comparing a
      remote database server CPU load and a network load from a probe on the
      same graph becomes possible.

      Apart from a sample module with random data, ps, cpustats and memstats
      modules for Linux are included as examples (running
      "wish moodss ps cpustats memstats" mimics the "top" application with a
      graphic edge). Module contibutions are of course welcomed and will be
      included in my home page.

      Thorough help is provided through menus, widget tips, a message area,
      a module help window and a global help window with a complete HTML
      documentation.

      Development of moodss is continuing and as more features are added in
      future versions, backward module code compatibility will be maintained.

      I cannot thank the authors of tkTable, BLT and the HTML library enough
      for their great work.

      In order to run moodss, you need to install the following packages:
      obviously Tcl/Tk 8.0 or 8.1 at (or at a mirror near you)
      http://www.scriptics.com/ or ftp://ftp.scriptics.com/
      the latest tkTable widget library at:
      http://oprs.mchh.siemens.de/tcl/capp/tkTable/
      and the latest BLT library at:
      ftp://ftp.tcltk.com/pub/blt/
      (see the INSTALL file for complete instructions, for UNIX and also
      Windows platforms).
      Note: pre-compiled libraries for tkTable and BLT on Linux are
      available in my homepage.

      Whether you like it (or hate it), please let me know. I would like to
      hear about bugs and improvements you would like to see. I will correct
      the bugs quickly, especially if you send me a test script (module code
      with a data trace would be best).

      ###

      you may find it now at:

      http://www.mygale.org/~jfontain/moodss-4.2.1.tar.gz

      or:

      ftp://ftp.neosoft.com/pub/tcl/incoming/moodss-4.2.1.tar.gz
      to be moved soon into:
      ftp://ftp.neosoft.com/pub/tcl/sorted/apps/moodss-4.2.1.tar.gz

      Enjoy and please let me know what you think.

      --
      Jean-Luc Fontaine mailto:jfontain@...
      http://www.mygale.org/~jfontain/

      [[Send Tcl/Tk announcements to tcl-announce@...
      Send administrivia to tcl-announce-request@...
      Announcements archived at http://www.findmail.com/list/tcl_announce/
      The primary Tcl/Tk archive is ftp://ftp.neosoft.com/pub/tcl/ ]]