[tcl_announce] Dr. Dobb's Tcl-URL! - weekly Tcl news and links (Feb 28)

  • Donald G Porter
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 2, 2000
      Still waiting for detailed reports from Tcl2K. Oustervotes? Feather?

      TclVSdb 1.2 released. Database facility written entirely in Tcl.
      http://www.lowcountry.com/%7Ejscottb/tcltk.shtml

      Tclgdbm 0.3 and qgdbm 0.3 released. Tcl interfaces to GNU dbm.
      http://www.vogel-nest.de/tcl/

      VisualGIPSY 2.5 released. Open Source GUI Builder for Tk.
      http://www.prs.de/int/products/vg/

      Long thread probing the capabilities of a newly announced Tcl "compiler".
      http://www.deja.com/=dnc/viewthread.xp?AN=587611083
      http://home.t-online.de/home/aotto/compiler.html (German)

      Web Techniques article: "Writing Intelligent Web Agents".
      http://www.webtechniques.com/archives/2000/03/schrenk/

      Poll on proposed BWidgets revisions.
      http://www.deja.com/=dnc/viewthread.xp?AN=589944225

      Survey: Why didn't you attend Tcl2K?
      http://www.deja.com/=dnc/viewthread.xp?AN=587499084

      Freewrap's FreeWish.exe needs tclpip82.dll .
      http://www.deja.com/=dnc/viewthread.xp?AN=589722028

      New Tk 8.3 "feature" on NT: [wm withdraw .] hides [bgerror] dialogs.
      http://www.deja.com/=dnc/viewthread.xp?AN=588375589
      http://www.deja.com/=dnc/viewthread.xp?AN=588412966

      Making XIM work with Tcl/Tk 8.3.0 .
      http://www.deja.com/=dnc/getdoc.xp?AN=588973271
      http://www.deja.com/=dnc/getdoc.xp?AN=588420673

      Applying formatting tags when inserting text into a text widget.
      http://www.deja.com/=dnc/viewthread.xp?AN=588179242

      File locking requires platform- and filesystem-specific trickery.
      http://www.deja.com/=dnc/viewthread.xp?AN=588513679

      Unit conversion and measured quantity entry widget.
      http://purl.org/thecliff/tcl/wiki/unit

      Cursors, hot spots, and bitmaps.
      http://www.deja.com/=dnc/viewthread.xp?AN=588867892

      Discussion about pros and cons of enabling stub interfaces in BLT
      leads to useful information about what stubs do and do not provide,
      the prospects of Scriptics accepting core patches which add to the
      core API, and a definition of insanity.
      http://www.deja.com/=dnc/viewthread.xp?AN=587245018

      Argument rerun: Should [package require Tk] == wish ?
      http://www.deja.com/=dnc/viewthread.xp?AN=588890883

      Everything you want is probably one or two clicks away in these pages:

      The "Welcome to comp.lang.tcl" message by Andreas Kupries
      http://www.westend.com/~kupries/c.l.t.welcome.html

      Larry Virden maintains a comp.lang.tcl FAQ launcher
      http://www.purl.org/NET/Tcl-FAQ/

      Scriptics maintains a highly organized Tcl resource center
      http://www.scriptics.com/resource/

      They also keep info to convince your boss Tcl is a good thing
      http://www.scriptics.com/scripting/

      NeoSoft has a comp.lang.tcl contributed sources archive
      http://www.neosoft.com/tcl/contributed-software/

      Cameron Laird tracks many Tcl/Tk references of interest
      http://starbase.neosoft.com/~claird/comp.lang.tcl/

      Cetus Links maintains a Tcl/Tk page with verified links
      http://www.cetus-links.org/oo_tcl_tk.html

      Findmail archives comp.lang.tcl.announce posts
      http://www.egroups.com/list/tcl_announce/

      Previous - (U)se the (R)esource, (L)uke! - messages are listed here:
      http://purl.org/thecliff/tcl/url.html
      or
      http://www.dejanews.com/dnquery.xp?QRY=~g%20comp.lang.tcl%20Tcl-URL%21

      Suggestions/corrections for next week's posting are always welcome.

      To receive a new issue of this posting in e-mail each Monday, ask
      <claird@...> to subscribe. Be sure to mention "Tcl-URL!".
      --
      Dr. Dobb's Journal (http://www.ddj.com) is pleased to participate in and
      sponsor the "Tcl-URL!" project.

      Cameron Laird <claird@...>
      Business: http://www.Phaseit.net
      Personal: http://starbase.neosoft.com/~claird/home.html

      [[Send Tcl/Tk announcements to tcl-announce@...
      Send administrivia to tcl-announce-request@...
      Announcements archived at http://www.findmail.com/list/tcl_announce/
      The primary Tcl/Tk archive is ftp://ftp.neosoft.com/pub/tcl/ ]]
    • Cameron Laird
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 12 3:38 PM
        QOTW: "Also, I have stopped calling my TCL programs 'scripts'. I have
        noticed that many people (managment types and even some engineers) think
        of scripts as being trivial programs." -- Bud Beacham

        "[T]ypes are almost always just values stuck in a rut." -- Donal Fellows

        POTW: "Jim is a small footprint implementation of the Tcl programming
        language", by the author, among other delights, of hping.
        http://jim.berlios.de

        Relative newcomer Googie provides TclMixer, a low-latency
        SDL-based alternative to Snack.
        http://scripts.one.pl/tclmixer/

        Andreas Leitgeb explores ambiguities and lacunae in the syntax
        and use of [switch].
        http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/msg/600fef16bb98714b

        Thanks to Arjen Markus for his report from the Wiki(s):
        With Europe firmly in the grip of "King Winter", the Wiki remains
        the warm place we love so much! Here is the summary.

        A lot of applications ...
        - Would you believe it? An actual neural network on the Wiki -
        check out <http://wiki.tcl.tk/8751>

        - Managing copy-n-paste under Linux: use this clipboard -
        <http://wiki.tcl.tk/13651>

        - Put on your 3D goggles: here is a visualisation tool for
        3D data - <http://wiki.tcl.tk/7146>

        - From data model to diagram to SQL code - save yourself
        the trouble of typing that code - <http://wiki.tcl.tk/11998>

        - Tile is being used in more applications than you might
        think. Have a look: <http://wiki.tcl.tk/13636>

        A lot of games
        - First of all there is this collection ... <http://wiki.tcl.tk/13404>

        - Then there is this number puzzle ... <http://wiki.tcl.tk/13272>

        A few other things
        - The discussion goes on ... How do we market Tcl?
        <http://wiki.tcl.tk/13216>

        - The confusion about "closures" - I do not know if this will
        help, but it sure has some info ... <http://wiki.tcl.tk/3330>

        - Parallel ports, serial ports, I see the discussions on the newsgroup
        and I never know the one from the other. But: <http://wiki.tcl.tk/2816>
        for anyone who does!

        - I cannot resist including this little gem: 3D bar charts ...
        <http://wiki.tcl.tk/13680>

        Everything Tcl-related you want is probably one or two clicks away in these
        pages:
        The "Welcome to comp.lang.tcl" message by Andreas Kupries
        http://www.purl.org/net/tcl-welcome

        The Tcl Developer Site is Tcl's "home base".
        http://www.tcl.tk

        Larry Virden maintains a comp.lang.tcl FAQ launcher.
        http://www.purl.org/NET/Tcl-FAQ/

        The Tcl Developer Xchange is a highly organized resource center
        of documents and software with provisions for individuals to
        maintain references to their own software:
        http://www.tcl.tk/resource/
        The TDX sponsor, ActiveState, also keeps info to convince your
        boss Tcl is a good thing
        http://www.tcl.tk/scripting/

        The Tcl'ers Wiki is a huge, dynamic, collaboratively edited repository
        of documentation, examples, tutorials and pontifications on all things
        Tcl.
        http://wiki.tcl.tk/0
        For the ideal overview of the topics about Tcl most likely to
        interest a newcomer, see "Arts and Crafts ..."
        http://wiki.tcl.tk/969

        ActiveState maintains binaries distribution and development tools
        http://www.activestate.com/Tcl
        along with a Cookbook of Tcl recipes
        http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Tcl

        deli.cio.us presents an intriguing approach to reference commentary.
        It already aggregates quite a bit of Tcl intelligence.
        http://del.icio.us/tag/tcl

        Cameron Laird tracks several Tcl/Tk references of interest
        http://phaseit.net/claird/comp.lang.tcl/

        Cetus Links maintains a Tcl/Tk page with verified links
        http://www.cetus-links.org/oo_tcl_tk.html

        "Yahoo! Groups" archives comp.lang.tcl.announce posts
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tcl_announce/

        Previous - (U)se the (R)esource, (L)uke! - messages are listed here:
        http://www.ddj.com/topics/tclurl/
        An alternative is
        http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_q=+Tcl-URL&as_ugroup=comp.lang.tcl