[tcl_announce] ANNOUNCE: moodss-8.9

  • Jean-Luc Fontaine
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 4, 2000
      Hi everybody: here is a new version of moodss.

      Check it out! (or at least the screenshots at
      http://jfontain.free.fr/moodss3.gif or
      http://jfontain.free.fr/moodss4.gif :).

      Note: From now on, versions 10.x and above releases are for Tcl/Tk 8.3,
      with corresponding releases using the 8.x version numbering for Tcl/Tk
      8.0. Once Tcl/Tk 8.3 becomes part of the main Linux distributions,
      development of the 8.x versions will stop.

      Reminder: printing requires the dash patch (see moodss.htm file)
      otherwise use moodss-10.1 along with Tcl/Tk 8.3 (see homepage)

      ### CHANGES ###

      --- version 8.9 ---
      in preferences dialog box, added canvas printing folder
      added print preview using gv (ghostview)
      in print dialog box, browse button did not work as it was invoking a
      namespace procedure without namespace specification
      added version, date and time to preferences save file
      in configuration and preferences dialog boxes, use better looking
      closed and opened folder icons

      ### README ###

      This is moodss (Modular Object Oriented Dynamic SpreadSheet) version
      8.9. Moodss is implemented in the great Tcl language (requires at
      least versions 8.0 of Tcl and Tk, for UNIX or Windows).

      Moodss won in the Best System Admin Technology category (Tcl Tips and
      Tricks, Valuable Real World Programming Examples) at the O'Reilly
      Tcl/Tk Conference on August 24, 1999.

      Moodss is a modular application. It displays data described and
      updated in one or more modules loaded when the application is
      started. Data is originally displayed in tables. Graphical views
      (graph, bar, 3D pie charts, ...), summary tables (with current,
      average, minimum and maximum values) and free text viewers can be
      created from any number of table cells, originating from any of the
      displayed viewers.

      A thorough and intuitive drag'n'drop scheme is used for most viewer
      editing tasks: creation, modification, type mutation, destruction,
      ... Table rows can be sorted in increasing or decreasing order by
      clicking on column titles. The current configuration (modules, tables
      and viewers geometry, ...) can be saved in a file at any time, and
      later reused through a command line switch, thus achieving a dashboard
      functionality.

      The module code is the link between the moodss core and the data to be
      displayed. All the specific code is kept in the module package. Since
      module data access is entirely customizable (through C code, Tcl,
      HTTP, ...) and since several modules can be loaded at once,
      applications for moodss become limitless. For example, one can
      compare a remote database server CPU load and a network load from a
      probe on the same graph, or build a dashboard of CPU and memory
      utilization for a group of servers.

      Apart from a sample module with random data, ps, cpustats, memstats,
      diskstats, mounts, route, arp, kernmods modules for Linux, ping for
      UNIX, apache and apachex modules are included (running "wish moodss ps
      cpustats memstats" mimics the "top" application with a graphic
      edge). Module contibutions are of course welcomed and will be included
      in my home page.

      Thorough help is provided through menus, widget tips, a message area,
      a module help window and a global help window with a complete HTML
      documentation.

      Development of moodss is continuing and as more features are added in
      future versions, backward module code compatibility will be maintained.

      I cannot thank the authors of tkTable, BLT, wcb and the HTML library
      enough for their great work.

      In order to run moodss, you need to install the following packages
      (unless you can use the rpm utility, see below):
      obviously Tcl/Tk 8.0 or 8.2 at (or at a mirror near you)
      http://www.scriptics.com/ or ftp://ftp.scriptics.com/
      the latest tkTable widget library at:
      http://www.hobbs.wservice.com/tcl/main.html
      and the latest BLT library at:
      ftp://ftp.tcltk.com/pub/blt/
      (see the INSTALL file for complete instructions, for UNIX and also
      Windows platforms).

      You also have the option of using the moodss rpm file (also in my
      homepage), if you are using a Redhat Linux system (5.1 or above). The
      required tcl, tk and blt rpms are part of the Redhat distribution,
      whereas the tktable rpm can be found at:
      ftp://rpmfind.net/linux/contrib/libc5/i386/tktable-2.2-1.i386.rpm.

      Whether you like it (or hate it), please let me know. I would like to
      hear about bugs and improvements you would like to see. I will correct
      the bugs quickly, especially if you send me a test script (module code
      with a data trace would be best).

      ###

      you may find it now at my homepage:

      http://jfontain.free.fr/moodss-8.9.tar.gz
      http://jfontain.free.fr/moodss-8.9-1.i386.rpm
      http://jfontain.free.fr/moodss-8.9-1.src.rpm

      a bit later at:

      ftp://contrib.redhat.com/libc6/i386/moodss-8.9-1.i386.rpm

      or somewhere in:

      ftp://ftp.neosoft.com/pub/tcl/

      Enjoy and please let me know what you think.

      --
      Jean-Luc Fontaine mailto:jfontain@... http://jfontain.free.fr/

      [[Send Tcl/Tk announcements to tcl-announce@...
      Send administrivia to tcl-announce-request@...
      Announcements archived at http://www.findmail.com/list/tcl_announce/
      The primary Tcl/Tk archive is ftp://ftp.neosoft.com/pub/tcl/ ]]