[tcl_announce] ANNOUNCE: TkCon v1.6 - Enhanced Tk Console

  • jeff_hobbs@my-dejanews.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1 4:15 AM
      WHAT: Enhanced Tk Console for all Tk platforms (v1.6)

      WHERE: http://www.purl.org/net/hobbs/tcl/script/tkcon/
      http://www.hobbs.wservice.com/tcl/script/tkcon/
      http://www.neosoft.com/tcl/ (somewhere in the devel area)

      REQUIREMENTS: Tcl 7.6 / Tk 4.2 (as least the stable versions)
      Tested through Tcl/Tk8.1b2.
      TkCon is all Tcl/Tk code, no compiling required

      TkCon is a replacement for the standard console that comes with Tk (on
      Windows/Mac, but also works on Unix). TkCon provides many more features
      than the standard console and works on all platforms where Tcl/Tk is
      available. It is meant primarily to aid one when working with the little
      details inside tcl and tk and to give Unix users the GUI console provided
      by default in the Mac and Windows Tk.

      UPDATES FROM v1.5:
      * Improved hot error support
      * updated font handling, new color arguments
      * new 'what' procedure
      * improved docs

      NOTES TO v1.6:
      This is the LAST TCL7 COMPATIBLE VERSION, and most likely the last
      version 1.x of tkcon. At 140KB and over 4500 LOC, I have decided that tkcon
      could use some weight reduction. Look forward to v2 being slimmer, better
      constructed (I'll finally get to use namespaces in tkcon like everywhere
      else), and more easily extensible (tkcon will have a tight kernel, with a
      surrounding body of extensions).
      I've reached the point where I don't put certain features in due to
      the extra weight on tkcon. These features will be available in the future
      as simple add-ons. Also, I haven't used Tcl7 in quite a while, so attempting
      to maintain compatibility for it isn't worth the effort (I don't even have
      binaries of Tcl7 around).
      Now would be a good time to scream for your favorite new feature,
      or for the features you think tkcon can't live without.

      FEATURES:
      Command history
      Path (Unix style) / Proc / Variable name expansion
      Multiple consoles, each with its own state (via multiple interpreters)
      Captures stdout and stderr to console window (puts overridden)
      Hot errors (click on error result to see stack trace)
      Electric character matching (a la emacs)
      Electric proc highlighting
      Enhanced history searching
      Configurable
      Cut / Copy / Paste between windows (interoperates with native platform)
      Communication between consoles and other Tk interpreters
      (including non-tcl ones)
      Works on all Tk platforms

      CONTACT: Jeffrey Hobbs, jeff.hobbs at acm.org

      GETTING STARTED:

      TkCon is a single drop-in file. On Windows, I place this on the desktop
      and double-click on it instead of wish/tclsh. On Unix, I place it in a
      known bin directory and run this instead of wish. I don't have a Mac...

      Documentation can be reading by starting with index.html in the docs/
      subdirectory. Happying Tcl'ing!

      jeff.hobbs @SPAM acm.org
      jeffrey.hobbs @SPAM icn.siemens.de

      [[Send Tcl/Tk announcements to tcl-announce@...
      Send administrivia to tcl-announce-request@...
      Announcements archived at http://www.findmail.com/list/tcl_announce/
      The primary Tcl/Tk archive is ftp://ftp.neosoft.com/pub/tcl/ ]]

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/tcl_announce