Dr. Dobb's Tcl-URL! - weekly Tcl news and links (Feb 28)

  • Cameron Laird
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 12, 2005
      QOTW: "Also, I have stopped calling my TCL programs 'scripts'. I have
      noticed that many people (managment types and even some engineers) think
      of scripts as being trivial programs." -- Bud Beacham

      "[T]ypes are almost always just values stuck in a rut." -- Donal Fellows

      POTW: "Jim is a small footprint implementation of the Tcl programming
      language", by the author, among other delights, of hping.
      http://jim.berlios.de

      Relative newcomer Googie provides TclMixer, a low-latency
      SDL-based alternative to Snack.
      http://scripts.one.pl/tclmixer/

      Andreas Leitgeb explores ambiguities and lacunae in the syntax
      and use of [switch].
      http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/msg/600fef16bb98714b

      Thanks to Arjen Markus for his report from the Wiki(s):
      With Europe firmly in the grip of "King Winter", the Wiki remains
      the warm place we love so much! Here is the summary.

      A lot of applications ...
      - Would you believe it? An actual neural network on the Wiki -
      check out <http://wiki.tcl.tk/8751>

      - Managing copy-n-paste under Linux: use this clipboard -
      <http://wiki.tcl.tk/13651>

      - Put on your 3D goggles: here is a visualisation tool for
      3D data - <http://wiki.tcl.tk/7146>

      - From data model to diagram to SQL code - save yourself
      the trouble of typing that code - <http://wiki.tcl.tk/11998>

      - Tile is being used in more applications than you might
      think. Have a look: <http://wiki.tcl.tk/13636>

      A lot of games
      - First of all there is this collection ... <http://wiki.tcl.tk/13404>

      - Then there is this number puzzle ... <http://wiki.tcl.tk/13272>

      A few other things
      - The discussion goes on ... How do we market Tcl?
      <http://wiki.tcl.tk/13216>

      - The confusion about "closures" - I do not know if this will
      help, but it sure has some info ... <http://wiki.tcl.tk/3330>

      - Parallel ports, serial ports, I see the discussions on the newsgroup
      and I never know the one from the other. But: <http://wiki.tcl.tk/2816>
      for anyone who does!

      - I cannot resist including this little gem: 3D bar charts ...
      <http://wiki.tcl.tk/13680>

      Everything Tcl-related you want is probably one or two clicks away in these
      pages:
      The "Welcome to comp.lang.tcl" message by Andreas Kupries
      http://www.purl.org/net/tcl-welcome

      The Tcl Developer Site is Tcl's "home base".
      http://www.tcl.tk

      Larry Virden maintains a comp.lang.tcl FAQ launcher.
      http://www.purl.org/NET/Tcl-FAQ/

      The Tcl Developer Xchange is a highly organized resource center
      of documents and software with provisions for individuals to
      maintain references to their own software:
      http://www.tcl.tk/resource/
      The TDX sponsor, ActiveState, also keeps info to convince your
      boss Tcl is a good thing
      http://www.tcl.tk/scripting/

      The Tcl'ers Wiki is a huge, dynamic, collaboratively edited repository
      of documentation, examples, tutorials and pontifications on all things
      Tcl.
      http://wiki.tcl.tk/0
      For the ideal overview of the topics about Tcl most likely to
      interest a newcomer, see "Arts and Crafts ..."
      http://wiki.tcl.tk/969

      ActiveState maintains binaries distribution and development tools
      http://www.activestate.com/Tcl
      along with a Cookbook of Tcl recipes
      http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Tcl

      deli.cio.us presents an intriguing approach to reference commentary.
      It already aggregates quite a bit of Tcl intelligence.
      http://del.icio.us/tag/tcl

      Cameron Laird tracks several Tcl/Tk references of interest
      http://phaseit.net/claird/comp.lang.tcl/

      Cetus Links maintains a Tcl/Tk page with verified links
      http://www.cetus-links.org/oo_tcl_tk.html

      "Yahoo! Groups" archives comp.lang.tcl.announce posts
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tcl_announce/

      Previous - (U)se the (R)esource, (L)uke! - messages are listed here:
      http://www.ddj.com/topics/tclurl/
      An alternative is
      http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_q=+Tcl-URL&as_ugroup=comp.lang.tcl

      Suggestions/corrections for next week's posting are always welcome.

      To receive a new issue of this posting in e-mail each Monday, ask
      <claird@...> to subscribe. Be sure to mention "Tcl-URL!".
      --
      Dr. Dobb's Journal (http://www.ddj.com) is pleased to participate in and
      sponsor the "Tcl-URL!" project.