- Announcing XOTcl 1.1.0
WHAT IS XOTCL?
XOTcl is an object-oriented extension of Tcl that was derived from
OTcl. In short, XOTcl tries to provide a highly flexible,
reflective, component-based, and object-oriented environment. It
integrates language support for high level concepts which are not
found in other languages, with reasonable performance. It prevails
the Tcl programming style and the dynamic/introspective nature of
the language, rather than introducing other language's styles and
rigidness (such as C++) into Tcl.
CHANGES relative to 1.0.2 are:
- New functionality and improvements:
* Transitive instmixins (thanks to a suggestion of Neophytos
The new version supports a tree of mixins (mixins of mixins);
when a mixin-class X has instmixins Y registered, and X is
registered as instmixin for a class C, the mixin classes Y are
applied to C as well.
* Conditional mixins (thanks to a suggestion of Neophytos Demetriou):
mixins and instmixins can have now guards similar to filters
that define when they should be applied
* New composition strategy for (filter- and mixin-)guards:
when a guard is defined more than once for the same interceptor
the most specific guard is used, the others are overridden.
* Creation of sub-objects via parameter:
XOTcl's parameter method supports now a switch named "-Class"
which can be used to create and configure sub-objects (see
tutorial for details)
* New predefined method: __unknown
This method is called, whenever XOTcl references a class,
which is not defined yet (e.g.: Class C -superclass UNKNOWNCLASS)
This method is used for Zoran's wonderful ttrace package
(for aolserver and tcl-Threads)
* Improved documentation:
- extended tutorial (Meta-Classes, Tk, ...)
- beautified tutorial (style files, distinction between
literals and placeholders, ...)
- fixed hundreds of typos
* some speed improvements
* New build system:
- per default no shells are built
- new configure switches eg. --with-xotclsh, -with-actiweb
* Fixes for https in connection with some versions of IE
* Fixed a few issues with purify and mt (many thanks to Zoran!)
* Fixes for proc-scoped variable in connections with mixins
* Fixed passing of error codes from constructors=20
* various small fixes and code cleanup
- with newer versions of autoconf
- various fixes for stubs
- improved build under windows
- starkit compliance (many thanks to MichaelL@...)
For more details, please consult the ChangeLog
General and more detailed information about XOTcl and its components
can be found at http://www.xotcl.org
[[Send Tcl/Tk announcements to tcl-announce@...
Announcements archived at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tcl_announce/
Send administrivia to tcl-announce-request@...
Tcl/Tk at http://tcl.tk/ ]]