Re: TIP #154: Add Named Colors to Tk

  • damon@unreality.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 2, 2003
      > TIP #154: ADD NAMED COLORS TO TK

      Before I submit my revised tip, I wanted to get some final
      opinions on this TIP. Here are the revisions I've come up with. Let
      me know if you think I've missed something.

      Add ?pattern? option to 'color names'.

      Add 'color exists' command.

      Colors will use standard 'cget' and 'configure' subcommands. I want
      the following options, I think. More can be added later. The
      rationale is that each color will have two corresponding shades of
      light and dark which can be used in drawing borders. Whether or not
      this jives with what people are thinking for named colors is beyond
      me. Frankly, at this point, I'd be happy with just the -color option,
      as it at least sets the stage. The rest are just sugar that I think
      may come in handy some day. 0-]

      Named Color Options:

      -color - The RGB color for this named color.
      -dark1 - A dark color (which should be automatically calculated if
      not given)
      -dark2 - A dark color (which should be automatically calculated if
      not given)
      -light1 - A light color (which should be automatically calculated if
      not given)
      -light2 - A light color (which should be automatically calculated if
      not given)

      Any questions? Opinions? I want to get a feel for what others
      think this TIP needs before I submit my revision.

      Thanks,

      Damon

      [[Send Tcl/Tk announcements to tcl-announce@...
      Send administrivia to tcl-announce-request@...