Re: Future subjunctive

  • John Wevers
    Message 1 of 1714 , Jan 31, 1996
      Possibly a Septuagint scholar might join the discussion.
      The last thirty years of my scholarly career has been devoted
      largely to dealing with mss readings. Copyists simply did not
      distinguish between the homonymic -omai and wmai. In other
      words aorist subjunctives could be spelled with -o- or with -w-
      almost indiscriminately. I would strongly suggest that one
      abandon the notion of a future subjunctive. Grammatically
      that makes no sense, and the reading that has been
      identified as a future subjunctive is nothing of the kind,
      but is simply a misspelled indicative. As far as I know future
      subjunctives are not attested as anything but the result of
      homonymic spelling. JWW
      --

      John Wevers
      Near Eastern Studies