Re: Romans Ch. 5-8

  • Jim West
    Message 1 of 1714 , Sep 10, 1996
      At 09:51 AM 9/10/96 -0500, you wrote:
      >Dear List,
      >

      >This time I need to deal with any textual issues that might be found in
      >these verses, so I would appreciate any guidance that might be offered
      >in a direction to start with. I am writing this message right after
      >class and before I head for home to start reading. So, I have not
      >checked the Greek text as of yet. I have done exegetical papers
      >throughout my under-grad. studies, but like I said before, I need to
      >deal more in-depth with the text itself.
      >
      >Then also, the library where I am enrolled offers inter-library loans
      >because their collection is limited in this field. So, I need to make
      >sure I select good quality text (making things less expensive on me).
      >

      >Wayne Heidler

      Wayne,

      You may wish to consult J.D. G. Dunn's commentary on Romans published by
      "Word" publishers. It is two volumes, but I think all of the material you
      want is in vol 1.

      He deals quite thoroughly with the significant variants.
      Then I would consult Ulrich Wilckens "Der Brief an die Romer"

      And of course you should look at Bruce Metzgers' "Textual Commentary on the
      Greek New Testament".

      Best wishes on your work.

      Jim West

      Jim West, ThD
      Professor of Biblical Languages, CCBI
      Adjunct Professor of Bible, Quartz Hill School of Theology
      Message 1714 of 1714 , Feb 4, 1997