Re: Isaiah 7:11

  • Andrew Gross
    Message 1 of 1714 , Jan 29, 1996
      On Mon, 29 Jan 1996, Jim Deardorff wrote:

      > On Mon, 29 Jan 1996, MR. DAVE FOUTS wrote:
      >
      > > I trust you'll forgive a TC discussion from the Old Testament.

      I hope OT textual critcism is not off-limits here? ;)

      > > Recently, on another listserv (either B-Hebrew or ANE), another
      > > individual was requesting input on Isa. 7:11, wherein the great
      > > Isaiah scroll reads m'm or m'b rather than the MT's m<m (from with).
      > > I know of no other manuscript with this reading, and think that
      > > though the Isaiah scroll's reading of from the mother of or from the
      > > father of (YHWH) is far more difficult, the context nowhere in the
      > > passage nor in Scripture refers to a mother or father of YHWH.
      > > Any input?
      >
      > Were you referring to Is 7:14 here, Dave, rather than 7:11? (Since I
      > don't read Hebrew I need to ask, also since my RSV Bible gives no hint
      > that any "mother of YHVH" or "father of JHVH" enters in anywhere.)

      The reading "mother of" is the variant in the Qumran scroll, and that is
      why you don't see it in the RSV.

      As for the original question, perhaps the laryngeals had weakened so much
      at this stage of Hebrew that the scribe sometimes substituted alef for
      ayin. Because the Qumran reading is so difficult and unattested
      elsewhere, it could easily just be dismissed. My suggestion -- and I
      know he'll have something to say about the weaening of laryngeals -- is
      to check out E. Y. Kutscher's massive monograph on the Isaiah Scroll and
      see what he has to say about this variant.

      I believe it is called _The Language of the Isaiah Scroll_ and was
      published by Brill.

      > But perhaps you or another on the list can fill in some background for me
      > on the entire passage. Who is it that is speaking in Is 7:13-17 on? The
      > RSV English makes it seem as if it is Ahaz still speaking at this point,
      > because 7:13 starts out "And he said," and if it had been Isaiah himself
      > speaking, it should have read, "And I said..." Yet I feel it must have
      > been Isaiah, the prophet, speaking there!

      D. Winton Thomas actually suggested the emendation to "And I said...".
      The NJPS translation keeps the 3rd person singular subject -- with Isaiah
      as the speaker -- and assumes that Isaiah's name was simply elided. I
      think this is a reasonable way to understand this passage.

      andrew gross
      Message 1714 of 1714 , Feb 4, 1997