Re: A Marcan editing formula?

  • Maurice Robinson
    Message 1 of 1714 , Jan 29, 1996
      On Mon, 29 Jan 1996, Jim Deardorff wrote:

      > Also in response to James Adair's request, here's a topic initiated by a
      > scholar of the 1920s, H. G. Jameson, who's argument pointing out an
      > apparent Marcan editing formula has not been refuted or even discussed
      > since in the literature, as far as I know. This is in his book, "The
      > Origin of the Synoptic Gospels" (1922).

      Assuming Matthean priority, and literary dependency, Jameson's case
      appears to be very strong. I suspect it has been ignored (much as
      Baird's "Audience Criticism and the Historical Jesus") merely because it
      would reverse the direction of NT studies away from Markan priority, the
      Two-Source Hypothesis, and the then-ongoing Quest of the Historical Jesus.

      Of course, current traditions need continually to be challenged and
      reexamined, and Jameson gives one direction for valuable pursuit.
      Message 1714 of 1714 , Feb 4, 1997