Re: Isaiah 7:11

  • Jim Deardorff
    Message 1 of 1714 , Jan 29 4:56 PM
      On Mon, 29 Jan 1996, MR. DAVE FOUTS wrote:

      > I trust you'll forgive a TC discussion from the Old Testament.
      > Recently, on another listserv (either B-Hebrew or ANE), another
      > individual was requesting input on Isa. 7:11, wherein the great
      > Isaiah scroll reads m'm or m'b rather than the MT's m<m (from with).
      > I know of no other manuscript with this reading, and think that
      > though the Isaiah scroll's reading of from the mother of or from the
      > father of (YHWH) is far more difficult, the context nowhere in the
      > passage nor in Scripture refers to a mother or father of YHWH.
      > Any input?

      Were you referring to Is 7:14 here, Dave, rather than 7:11? (Since I
      don't read Hebrew I need to ask, also since my RSV Bible gives no hint
      that any "mother of YHVH" or "father of JHVH" enters in anywhere.)

      But perhaps you or another on the list can fill in some background for me
      on the entire passage. Who is it that is speaking in Is 7:13-17 on? The
      RSV English makes it seem as if it is Ahaz still speaking at this point,
      because 7:13 starts out "And he said," and if it had been Isaiah himself
      speaking, it should have read, "And I said..." Yet I feel it must have
      been Isaiah, the prophet, speaking there!

      Jim Deardorff
      Oregon State University
      Message 1714 of 1714 , Feb 4, 1997