Re: Future subjunctive

  • Carlton Winbery
    Message 1 of 1714 , Jan 29, 1996
      Mark O'Brien wrote;
      >I was recently reading some comments regarding the existence of the future
      >subjunctive in one of the readings for 1Co 13:12, and I was thinking of doing a
      >little digging in this area. Can anybody supply me some brief background info
      >on the history of the future subjunctive in Greek? Thanks for your input. (I
      >apologize if this has been dealt with in previous discussion.)

      Mark later corrected the reference to I Cor. 13:3. Carl Conrad and Ed
      Hobbs have both given good correctives to the idea of the existence of a
      future subjunctive. I would like to comment on the textual problem at I
      Cor 12:3. I am persuaded that the original is KAUXHSWMAI supported by P46,
      aleph, A B and others. Some scribe (perhaps in a scriptorum) heard that
      word and wrote KAUQHSWMAI (Psi, and a many others). Another scribe saw
      that reading and changed it to KAUQHSOMAI (C D F G L the whole latin
      tradition and some others). The aorist deponent subjunctive with hINA
      makes good sense here, "in order that I might boast."

      Carlton Winbery
      Chair Religion/Philosophy
      LA College,
      Pineville,La