Re: Announcing "The Encyclopedia of New Testament Textual Criticism"!

  • Kevin W. Woodruff
    Message 1 of 1714 , Aug 14 10:57 AM
      Dear Rich:

      I'm excited by this project. I would suggest contacting Dr. James D. Price
      at Temple Baptist Seminary (DrJDPrice@...). He has a great deal of
      material on the use of computers to reconstruct geneological trees of
      various readings. If you could find room for a discussion of the "King James
      Onlyism" in this Encyclopaedia, I would be happy to contribute any material
      that I have on the subject

      At 01:40 PM 8/14/96 -0400, you wrote:
      >The Encyclopedia of New Testament Textual Criticism
      >A work whose time has come! A volume that I always wished was on my shelf.
      > A single work that would easily answer questions about NT TC. The people,
      >places, things, and dates that are relevant to the study and understanding of
      >this Biblical discipline. Made primarily for pastors and students new to
      >this area of study, as well as for the scholar who could use a quick
      >reference .
      >The idea to create a volume that would serve this purpose was first conceived
      >in 1992/93 while I was first learning exactly what textual criticism was. As
      >I collected as many texts as I could get my hands on ( I now have nearly 100
      >volumes relevant to this area), It became apparent to me that there was a
      >great need for such a volume. I first researched if there was anything like
      >this on the market. To date I have found none. I then began to make
      >inquires to some scholars that I had been in contact with, such as: Bruce
      >Metzger, Dan Wallace, Philip Comfort, J.K. Elliott, H.J. DeJonge, and David
      >Alan Black. Their collective response was that of encouragement.
      > Encouragement for a work that some asked, "Why didn't I think of that?" I
      >felt honored that these great scholars thought so highly of a work that to me
      >seemed like such a simple solution to the problem of easily referencing the
      >history and current facts entailed in this discipline. A volume that might
      >become a standard reference work for this field.
      >Of course, such an immense work needs the diligent support from the scholars
      >such as those listed, (I am currently awaiting responses from, Fee, Epp,
      >Holmes, Ehrman and the Institute at Munster). I will gladly accept any
      >assistance from scholar and student alike. So, I optimistically post this
      >request to all those who enjoy and work in the field of NT TC. I am hopeful
      >that all those reading this will be as excited about this work as I am. All
      >subscribers to the TC-List (http://scholar.cc.emory.edu/scripts/TC/TC.html)
      >are welcome and encouraged to participate in this project and suggest any
      >ideas.
      >
      >Rich E. Elliott
      >Assistant Librarian, Simon Greenleaf University (RE Elliott@...)

      Kevin W. Woodruff