Announcing "The Encyclopedia of New Testament Textual Criticism"!

  • REElliott@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1714 , Aug 14, 1996
      The Encyclopedia of New Testament Textual Criticism
      A work whose time has come! A volume that I always wished was on my shelf.
      A single work that would easily answer questions about NT TC. The people,
      places, things, and dates that are relevant to the study and understanding of
      this Biblical discipline. Made primarily for pastors and students new to
      this area of study, as well as for the scholar who could use a quick
      reference .
      The idea to create a volume that would serve this purpose was first conceived
      in 1992/93 while I was first learning exactly what textual criticism was. As
      I collected as many texts as I could get my hands on ( I now have nearly 100
      volumes relevant to this area), It became apparent to me that there was a
      great need for such a volume. I first researched if there was anything like
      this on the market. To date I have found none. I then began to make
      inquires to some scholars that I had been in contact with, such as: Bruce
      Metzger, Dan Wallace, Philip Comfort, J.K. Elliott, H.J. DeJonge, and David
      Alan Black. Their collective response was that of encouragement.
      Encouragement for a work that some asked, �Why didn�t I think of that?� I
      felt honored that these great scholars thought so highly of a work that to me
      seemed like such a simple solution to the problem of easily referencing the
      history and current facts entailed in this discipline. A volume that might
      become a standard reference work for this field.
      Of course, such an immense work needs the diligent support from the scholars
      such as those listed, (I am currently awaiting responses from, Fee, Epp,
      Holmes, Ehrman and the Institute at Munster). I will gladly accept any
      assistance from scholar and student alike. So, I optimistically post this
      request to all those who enjoy and work in the field of NT TC. I am hopeful
      that all those reading this will be as excited about this work as I am. All
      subscribers to the TC-List (http://scholar.cc.emory.edu/scripts/TC/TC.html)
      are welcome and encouraged to participate in this project and suggest any
      ideas.

      Rich E. Elliott
      Assistant Librarian, Simon Greenleaf University (RE Elliott@...)
      Message 1714 of 1714 , Feb 4, 1997