[tc-list] "professionals" have never found my theories to be "unsuitable"

  • Jeffrey B. Gibson
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 7 11:27 AM
      It may interest List Members to know that in a recent posting to his Loisy List (and in response to a charge made against his views by a Loisy contributor) Yuri Kuchinsky made the claim that the "professionals" on the T-C List (as well as on Synoptic-L) had "never found [his] theories [about the PH as preserving the source of much canonical Gospel material] unsuitable" (my italics)

      Cf.. http://www.egroups.com/message/loisy/521?&start=495

      Even taking the term  "professionals" in the most narrow sense possible,  my first reaction to this statement-- and one I sent to Yuri via Loisy--was that it was, to put it mildly,  hardly on target. (How could one possible read the messages from Bill Petersen or Ulrich Schmid to Yuri except as a rejection by professionals of Yuri's theories?).

      And so I  publicly challenged Yuri to prove me wrong by taking a survey of the "professionals" here (however he wanted to define the term) to see if what  was he was boasting was the case (i.e., that "professionals" on the T-C List had never found his theories about the PH "unsuitable") was indeed so. But so far he has declined to do so--even though I offered to walk down Michigan Avenue in my underwear at noon on any given week day shouting out "Yuri was right" should he, after taking the survey,  be able to prove his claim.

      Now I find this passing strange, especially in as much as Yuri has publicly proclaimed, after it was publicly noted that he does not put his money where his mouth is, that he always backs up any claim he makes (cf  http://x56.deja.com/=dnt_test1/[ST_rn=ap).

      So I feel compelled to take the survey for him and settle the matter once and for all.

      May I ask the "professionals" (i.e., those who teach and/or have published on text criticism or in the field of NT/Biblical studies)--as well as any of the "rank and file"--here on the T-C List to send me OFF LIST (and/or to Yuri at Loisy loisy@egroups.com  your vote about the "suitability" of Yuri's PH theories?

      I look forward to your replies.

      Yours,

      Jeffrey
      --