[tc-list] Re: Swanson's Gospels and Acts

  • Bruce Prior
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 12, 2000
      Dr DC Parker wrote in part:

      >It would be helpful to be told what printed sources were used by
      >Swanson, and where he used m/f. This would strengthen the
      >accuracy of reporting, to which Swanson refers in his introductions.
      >
      >DR DC PARKER
      >READER IN NEW TESTAMENT TEXTUAL CRITICISM AND PALAEOGRAPHY
      >DEPT OF THEOLOGY
      >UNIVERSITY OF BIRMINGHAM
      >TEL. 0121-414 3613
      >FAX 0121-414 6866
      >E-MAIL D.C.PARKER@...

      Indeed, I agree fully. I mentioned the same in my earlier posting. In my
      transcription of W, I am documenting the readings of my predecessors in
      elaborate detail. Swanson's major contribution is his implementation of the
      horizontal lines method. Precisely because this format is so
      straightforward and useable, other scholars can find errors and argue with
      his readings far more easily than with the "traditional" formats of NA and
      IGNTP. Why don't the people involved in those projects take advantage of
      their considerable advantage in scholarly resources and apply them to
      publications which adopt the Swanson horizontal lines method? By the way,
      NA and IGNTP should also explicitly document the sources of their text
      information. NA and the 15th Edition of Synopsis Quattuor Evangeliorum do
      not. Since the first volume of IGNTP Luke publication is out of print
      (!!!), I can't tell, because there is no such information in the second
      volume. BTW, if anyone can steer me to a copy of The New Testament in
      Greek: The Gospel According to St. Luke, Part One Chapters 1-12, ISBN
      0-19-826167-5, I would be most grateful.
      J. Bruce Prior, PhD