[tc-list] Re: Swanson's Gospels and Acts

  • DC PARKER
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 12 5:07 AM
      I have just noticed that Swanson's text of Codex Bezae seems in the
      Gospels to be a transcription of Scrivener's text, with one or two
      alterations (e.g. didaskwn correctly instead of didaskw at Jn 6.59, but
      kaiphas instead of k iphas (where kphiphas is correct) at 11.49). So
      his text of Codex Bezae for the Gospels should be corrected against
      the first and second appendices of my _Codex Bezae. An Early
      Christian MS and its Text_, where I list changes to Scrivener, and
      places where u/v light gives us things he couldn't read. However, at
      Acts 8.7, the only correction I found in Acts to the text of Scrivener
      (as opposed to his list of corrections) that Swanson would include he
      does have (apo before pollois). The same is true of the s.m. addition
      of ges at 7.11, which is given in my Appendix 2, so it looks as though
      he had used my work there.

      I also note that at Mk 6.49, duw is wrongly corrected to duo (see my
      appendix 2). N.B. I have not been through every item in my lists, just
      the most obvious errors in Scrivener (e.g. omissions of a whole
      word), and sampled a few others.

      It would be helpful to be told what printed sources were used by
      Swanson, and where he used m/f. This would strengthen the
      accuracy of reporting, to which Swanson refers in his introductions.

      My book came out in 1992, while Swanson's Gospel volumes are
      1995 and his Acts 1998, so it may well be a matter of chronology.
      On the other hand, some of these corrections to Scrivener were noted
      by Yoder in 1961, e.g. kerdhsh for kerdh at Mt 16.26. Swanson is
      with Scrivener here, but he hasYoder's correction of ouch to ouk at
      Lk 15.7.

      DR DC PARKER
      READER IN NEW TESTAMENT TEXTUAL CRITICISM AND PALAEOGRAPHY
      DEPT OF THEOLOGY
      UNIVERSITY OF BIRMINGHAM
      TEL. 0121-414 3613
      FAX 0121-414 6866
      E-MAIL D.C.PARKER@...

      ---
      You are currently subscribed to tc-list as: Listsaver-of-tc-list@egroups.com
    • Bruce Prior
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 12 7:14 AM
        Dr DC Parker wrote in part:

        >It would be helpful to be told what printed sources were used by
        >Swanson, and where he used m/f. This would strengthen the
        >accuracy of reporting, to which Swanson refers in his introductions.
        >
        >DR DC PARKER
        >READER IN NEW TESTAMENT TEXTUAL CRITICISM AND PALAEOGRAPHY
        >DEPT OF THEOLOGY
        >UNIVERSITY OF BIRMINGHAM
        >TEL. 0121-414 3613
        >FAX 0121-414 6866
        >E-MAIL D.C.PARKER@...

        Indeed, I agree fully. I mentioned the same in my earlier posting. In my
        transcription of W, I am documenting the readings of my predecessors in
        elaborate detail. Swanson's major contribution is his implementation of the
        horizontal lines method. Precisely because this format is so
        straightforward and useable, other scholars can find errors and argue with
        his readings far more easily than with the "traditional" formats of NA and
        IGNTP. Why don't the people involved in those projects take advantage of
        their considerable advantage in scholarly resources and apply them to
        publications which adopt the Swanson horizontal lines method? By the way,
        NA and IGNTP should also explicitly document the sources of their text
        information. NA and the 15th Edition of Synopsis Quattuor Evangeliorum do
        not. Since the first volume of IGNTP Luke publication is out of print
        (!!!), I can't tell, because there is no such information in the second
        volume. BTW, if anyone can steer me to a copy of The New Testament in
        Greek: The Gospel According to St. Luke, Part One Chapters 1-12, ISBN
        0-19-826167-5, I would be most grateful.
        J. Bruce Prior, PhD