[tc-list] manuscript stemmas

  • Vinton A. Dearing
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 11, 2000
      I noticed today in bundling my downloadings from the list that a
      communication from Bob Walsh was on the top of the pile. Dated 19
      January, on the subject of tree theory, it suggested that he was mad
      to ask whether anyone had ever heard of textual critics investigating
      tree theory. I felt as I reread it like the duck in the AFLAC
      commercials on TV, who keeps saying AFLAC, AFLAC, without anyone
      paying attention. I have, in a sense, devoted my life as a textual
      critic to tree theory. At the time Bob wrote, I had just updated
      five of my major computer programs for deriving family trees of
      the New Testament manuscripts and I updated the sixth on January 26.
      You can print them out from my web page, www.english.ucla.edu/Dearing
      At about that time I became aware, partly from a subsequent
      communication from Bob, which I did not keep, but more from a
      research job I was hired to perform, of the following information.
      1.Your word processor has a document comparison facility that you can
      use to increase the accuracy of your transcripts of manuscripts. Make
      two copies and compare them, or better, get someone else to make the
      second copy.
      2. You can then use the same facility to compare your (now accurate)
      transcripts of your manuscripts, chosing one with which to compare
      each of the others. Or you can obtain a copy of the COLLATE program
      and have it make out a standard apparatus criticus for you. It has
      been used by several textual critics working in the medieval period.
      I have not received a response from the Oxford University Computing
      Service in England, which distributes (or perhaps used to distribute)
      COLLATE. At any rate, they have my check.
      3. You can use the PAUP program to draw a family tree from the
      variations reported by COLLATE or that you have identified with your
      word processor. I have sent for a copy of PAUP, which is supposed to
      reach me next week. The acronym stands for Phylogenetic Analysis
      Using Parsimony.
      4. There are several other programs in the "literature" on the web,
      e.g., COMPARE as well as COLLATE, PHYLIP as well as PAUP, which I
      have not investigated. I still like my own programs best (there are
      ten in all, but the work of the first two can be as well or better
      done with a word processor) , but I will report my experiments with
      COLLATE and PAUP when I receive them.

      Meanwhile, AFLAC, AFLAC.

      Vinton A. Dearing

      ---
      You are currently subscribed to tc-list as: Listsaver-of-tc-list@egroups.com
    • Vinton A. Dearing
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 19, 2000
        Johannes G. van der Tak has written me to say that he and his
        colleague H.P.S. Bakker have been using Peter Robinson's COLLATE
        program for the past ten years in their work on Church Slavic
        manuscripts of the Apostolos and the N.T. They have had some
        experience with the PAUP program, and he notes an article on it by
        Robinson in Studies in Stemmatology (Amsterdam/Philadelphia, 1996),
        pp. 71-103. Van der Tak's e-mail addresses are joannest@...
        and joannest@.... He and Bakker have published their
        doctoral dissertations at the University of Amsterdam and some
        articles on their work.

        I must also report that in using my own programs, published on my web
        page www.english.ucla.edu/Dearing, to arrive at a family tree for I
        John, I discovered an error in the one named QRING that I have not
        yet corrected on the page. In part [7], "ringfinding:" following the
        paragraph name "next4var2:" change "ringx = Str(g1) [etc.]" to
        If usecomplement = True Then
        ringx = Str(g1 + 1)
        Else: ringx = Str(g1)
        End If
        ringx = ringx + "," + Str(cg1 * -1) + ","

        Vinton A. Dearing

        ---
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 20, 2000
          I have now corrected my QRING program on my web page