[tc-list] Re: Swanson's Galatians and NA

  • Curt Niccum
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 11, 2000
      I also found Swanson's transcriptions and list of NA/UBS errors in Acts
      slightly annoying with respect to D (05). Overall I find his work beneficial
      and laud his efforts to transcribe what currently exists of a manuscript. On
      the other hand, in those cases where we have multiple transcriptions of
      previously existing portions of a witness, it would seem useful to include
      that text (even if in a differing font to make a distinction between that
      which was personally collated and that which relies upon the earlier
      observations of others). (See for example 21:16 for D. The same could apply
      to other manuscripts suffering from any type of damage such as 33.) I would
      have difficulty labeling the attention rightly paid to the work of previous
      generations as "misleading and incorrect." Many of the other differences
      between Swanson's transcriptions and those of NA/UBS are due to differing
      philosophies about how material should be presented. I wonder whether these
      also warrant the judgmental categorization. Could they not all be listed
      merely as "differences between apparatus"?

      Curt

      ---
      You are currently subscribed to tc-list as: Listsaver-of-tc-list@egroups.com