[tc-list] Re: Swanson's Galatians and NA

  • Wieland Willker
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 11, 2000
      Gary Dykes wrote:
      > Perhaps you would be so kind as to demonstrate a few of these errors you
      > found in Swanson's group "a". Until I can examine your claims I cannot
      > accept them.

      I never stated that I've found errors in Swanson's group-a. Why do you think
      so? I just said that I do not consider his group-a listings really
      NA-errors. They are omissions of witnesses in NA and I agree that this is
      inconsistent. But I do not consider this a REAL error. An error ( for me) is
      only a wrongly cited witness (group-d listings).

      Best wishes
      Wieland
    • U.B.Schmid
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 11, 2000
        Is Swanson's error list of the NA/UBS products from his edition of Gal
        electronically available? I don't have the copy here at hand and would prefer to
        see the data on my own before publicly interacting.

        BTW-- I hope Swanson's new lists contain fewer items that are "MISLEADING AND
        INCORRECT" when compared to his lists in the Acts-volume. Just to mention the
        most stupid ones: His list of errors from UBS4 actually refers to UBS3. Swanson
        gives readings from H (014) in his error list of NA27, but the manuscript is not
        found in the NA witness list for Acts. Moreover, H (014) is supplemented at Acts
        1,1-5,28 by a 15./16. cent. hand, yet Swanson makes no distinction.

        Mr. Gary S. Dykes wrote in part:

        > The NA editions and the UBS editions, and the ANTF use films and prior
        > collations. They even rely (apparently in some instances) upon Von Soden
        > (per a letter to me). Some of the films at Munster are very poor (such as
        > their copy of MS 1115), and earlier posts to this list (from Munster folks)
        > state that their original data tapes (with digital databases) are not
        > readable. So both the UBS editions, the NA editions and the ANTF editions
        > are corrupt. In my research and as Reuben shows (especailly in Acts and
        > Galatians) too many errors exist in these works. I cannot at this time give
        > you an accurate error rate but 5% seems certain.

        Gary, why do you place so much confidence in Swanson's compilation of errors
        from NA/UBS products in his Acts-volume? Have you double-checked his lists?
        What error rate in Swanson's lists would you tolerate? If I would judge
        Swanson's work by the UBS4 error list in Acts, I could conclude that he missed
        almost 100%. Please, note I'm not saying Swanson didn't spot errors in NA. He
        simply exagerated his case to an extent that is hardly justifying to use his
        work as a model of scrutinity and reliability.

      • Curt Niccum
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 11, 2000
          I also found Swanson's transcriptions and list of NA/UBS errors in Acts
          slightly annoying with respect to D (05). Overall I find his work beneficial
          and laud his efforts to transcribe what currently exists of a manuscript. On
          the other hand, in those cases where we have multiple transcriptions of
          previously existing portions of a witness, it would seem useful to include
          that text (even if in a differing font to make a distinction between that
          which was personally collated and that which relies upon the earlier
          observations of others). (See for example 21:16 for D. The same could apply
          to other manuscripts suffering from any type of damage such as 33.) I would
          have difficulty labeling the attention rightly paid to the work of previous
          generations as "misleading and incorrect." Many of the other differences
          between Swanson's transcriptions and those of NA/UBS are due to differing
          philosophies about how material should be presented. I wonder whether these
          also warrant the judgmental categorization. Could they not all be listed
          merely as "differences between apparatus"?

          Curt

          ---
          You are currently subscribed to tc-list as: Listsaver-of-tc-list@egroups.com