[tc-list] Re: Attachment/Orthography

  • Timothy John Finney
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 14, 2000
      If you have been wondering about my cryptic reference to an attachment
      concerning P13, please let me explain. I responded to a question on
      orthography posted by Wieland Willker and included an attachment to back
      up my statement. My message was bounced as the attachment was over 20k.

      I then sent a message to the list saying that everyone who wants to see
      the attachment should contact me off-list so that I can send the
      attachment directly to them. Being the dunderhead that I am, I did not
      realise that no one had seen the original message that referred to the
      attachment.

      To set things right, here is the original message for those who may still
      be interested...

      Wieland Willker wrote:

      > What is the current status regarding spelling variants, itacisms etc.
      > for the establishment of MSS relationships?

      I applied multivariate analysis to collations of uncial and papyrus
      manuscripts of the Epistle to the Hebrews. As I transcribed the exact
      texts of these mss, I was able to perform the analysis using textual
      variations alone and spelling variations alone. Please find attached one
      set of maps that the analyses produced. These maps relate to P13 (P. Oxy.
      657). Manuscript sigla beginning with 'U' refer to uncials (i.e. U25 =
      O25).

      If you can open the attachment containing the maps then you may agree with
      me that the spelling perspective produces a similar overall configuration
      to the textual perspective. For this reason, I am of the opinion that
      orthography can tell us a great deal.

      As far as establishing genetic relationships is concerned, the data from
      which my maps were produced would have to be subjected to some
      genealogical type of analysis (e.g. cladistic analysis). If the results
      produced from the textual and spelling variants were similar then we would
      have reason to believe that orthography can be used to establish genetic
      relationships just as well as textual variants.

      Best regards

      Tim Finney

      [P.S. The advertised attachment is NOT attached. If you want to see it,
      please e-mail me off-list and I will send it.]

      ---
      You are currently subscribed to tc-list as: listsaver-of-tc-list@...