[tc-list] Re: Disciplina arcani (was: Shem-Tov)

  • robert s. morse
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 14 4:44 PM
      U.B.Schmid wrote:

      > robert s. morse wrote:
      > > Dear tc-ers:
      > >
      > > I hope I'll be excused for reintroducing a well worn subject. All the
      > > discussion about Shem-Tov got my curiousity. Howard's book shows Matthew
      > > 28:19-20 with a big hunk missing. Could this be from the disciplina
      > > arcani that Metzger invokes in his Textual Commentary on Luke 22:17-20?
      >
      > Personally, I don't see how to properly handle the concept of influence from
      > arcane discipline on textual developments. My main problem is that people
      > invoking that concept usually do it in an anecdotical way which I can't really
      > grasp. So let me ask you, Bob and everybody spending some thought on that issue,
      > how would you historically define and situate "arcane discipline" (who?,
      > where,?, and when?)?

      > Dr. Ulrich Schmid
      > U.B.Schmid@...
      >
      >Thank you, Ulrich, for responding. You're right that the subject needs discussing. It seems excluded from most works on textual criticism. Tertullian, Origen and others leave no doubt that "mystery" scriptures were not for the uninitiated. If the UBS3 committee assigned weight to the matter at Lk. 22:19-20, there must be some expert opinion that could offer further enlightenment.

      Bob

      ---
      You are currently subscribed to tc-list as: listsaver-of-tc-list@...
    • U.B.Schmid
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 15 8:25 AM
        robert s. morse wrote:

        [om. Schmid's quote]

        > >Thank you, Ulrich, for responding. You're right that the subject needs
        > discussing. It seems excluded from most works on textual criticism.
        > Tertullian, Origen and others leave no doubt that "mystery" scriptures were
        > not for the uninitiated. If the UBS3 committee assigned weight to the matter
        > at Lk. 22:19-20, there must be some expert opinion that could offer further
        > enlightenment.

        I would be glad to know a real case on that issue. Maybe it's not really worked
        out for good reasons. But I would be interested in your references to
        Tertullian, Origen and others. Could you, please, specify them.

      • Bart Ehrman
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 15 8:41 AM
          I deal with this passage, and the question of the disciplina arcani
          (briefly), in _The Orthodox Corruption of Scripture_, 197-209; my opinion
          about it (the disciplina arcana) is much the same as Ulrich's.

          -- Bart Ehrman