Re: Is 1:25

  • James R. Adair
    Message 1 of 1714 , Aug 8, 1996
      On Thu, 8 Aug 1996, george howard wrote:

      > In regard to LXX retroversions to Hebrew, another matter that needs to
      > be addressed is whether the Hebrew text we possess is corrupt. Often,
      > scholars turn to the Greek when the Hebrew is difficult to read or is
      > corrupt. But, when this happens, it is sometimes the case that the
      > Hebrew was difficult for the LXX translator as well. The Greek in these
      > instances is often little more than a guess on the part of the
      > translator. After all, he had to put something down for a translation.
      > Retroversions of the Greekin these cases are of little value in recovering
      > the original Hebrew text.

      This is a good point. It is always important to ask if the reading of the
      MT (or of the SP, or a Qumran scroll) could lie behind the Greek. Tov's
      discussion of these issues in _The Text-Critical Use of the Septuagint in
      Biblical Research_ is excellent. Particularly when the Hebrew is
      difficult is it pertinent to ask whether the Greek is a desperate
      attempt to render the Hebrew. In these cases, conjecture becomes a viable
      possibility.

      > How often does this occur? Ask yourself. Do
      > you turn to the Greek when the Hebrew is easy and good, or when it is
      > difficult to read or corrupt?

      But should the only time we turn to the Greek be when the Hebrew is
      difficult? A proper text-critical approach would be to read the Greek
      alongside the Hebrew all the time, not just when difficulties arise in
      the Hebrew text. After all, Hebrew scribes could have smoothed over
      difficulties just as easily as Greek translators.

      Jimmy Adair
      and
      Message 1714 of 1714 , Feb 4, 1997