[tc-list] Re: Orthography

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 12, 2000
      On 2/12/00, Wieland Willker wrote:

      >Thanks Tommy Wasserman for this quote.
      >I too think that spelling of names can be important, I remind you of the
      >spelling of Mariam/Maria which I posted recently and which seems to
      >indicate that different Marias were spelled differently (maybe).
      >
      >So, if spelling of verbs is of no value, what about the eipan/eipon
      >variants?

      It's worth noting, in this connection, that there are several sorts
      of scribes, and several ways of copying. Some scribes, it is clear,
      copied letter by letter, others syllable by syllable or word by
      word. In addition, there were scribes who were good spellers and
      some who were not (look at the several scribes of Aleph).

      If you get a scribe who is a careful letter-by-letter copyist,
      then you will have a copy of the exemplar close enough that
      these orthographic variants are important.

      But there is a key point here: Orthographic variants are of
      significance *only as long as this is true.* If you get one
      scribe who corrects aorist endings, or whatever, then *from that
      point on in the transmission*, orthography becomes meaningless.

      And by looking at all the carelessly-copied manuscripts in the
      world (Aleph, written primarily by a scribe who could not spell;
      L and Theta and 28, copied by scribes who were not really fluent
      in Greek, etc.), it is clear that orthography cannot be used
      as a tool in large-group studies.

      Orthography *can* be useful in small-group studies such as
      manuscript families. But even here, we must take great care
      to test the style of copying used by the scribe.

      ---
      You are currently subscribed to tc-list as: listsaver-of-tc-list@...