[tc-list] Re: Orthography

  • Stephen C. Carlson
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 11, 2000
      At 12:48 PM 2/11/00 +0100, Wieland Willker wrote:
      >What is the current status regarding spelling variants, itacisms etc.
      >for the establishment of MSS relationships?

      Richards' dissertation spent a lot of effort showing that these
      kinds of variants are not genetic, i.e., not useful for establishing
      MSS relationships.

      Stephen Carlson
      --
      Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@...

      ---
      You are currently subscribed to tc-list as: listsaver-of-tc-list@...
    • Wieland Willker
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 12, 2000
        Thanks Tommy Wasserman for this quote.
        I too think that spelling of names can be important, I remind you of the
        spelling of Mariam/Maria which I posted recently and which seems to
        indicate that different Marias were spelled differently (maybe).

        So, if spelling of verbs is of no value, what about the eipan/eipon
        variants?

        Best wishes
        Wieland

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 12, 2000
          On 2/12/00, Wieland Willker wrote:

          >Thanks Tommy Wasserman for this quote.
          >I too think that spelling of names can be important, I remind you of the
          >spelling of Mariam/Maria which I posted recently and which seems to
          >indicate that different Marias were spelled differently (maybe).
          >
          >So, if spelling of verbs is of no value, what about the eipan/eipon
          >variants?

          It's worth noting, in this connection, that there are several sorts
          of scribes, and several ways of copying. Some scribes, it is clear,
          copied letter by letter, others syllable by syllable or word by
          word. In addition, there were scribes who were good spellers and
          some who were not (look at the several scribes of Aleph).

          If you get a scribe who is a careful letter-by-letter copyist,
          then you will have a copy of the exemplar close enough that
          these orthographic variants are important.

          But there is a key point here: Orthographic variants are of
          significance *only as long as this is true.* If you get one
          scribe who corrects aorist endings, or whatever, then *from that
          point on in the transmission*, orthography becomes meaningless.

          And by looking at all the carelessly-copied manuscripts in the
          world (Aleph, written primarily by a scribe who could not spell;
          L and Theta and 28, copied by scribes who were not really fluent
          in Greek, etc.), it is clear that orthography cannot be used
          as a tool in large-group studies.

          Orthography *can* be useful in small-group studies such as
          manuscript families. But even here, we must take great care
          to test the style of copying used by the scribe.

          ---
          You are currently subscribed to tc-list as: listsaver-of-tc-list@...