[tc-list] SV: Orthography

  • Tommy Wasserman
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 11, 2000
      Wieland wrote:

      > What is the current status regarding spelling variants, itacisms etc.
      > for the establishment of MSS relationships?

      In his article "Clarification of the Term 'Textual Variant'", in Studies in
      the Theory and Method of Textual Criticism (Epp & Fee; Eerdmans 1993), in
      which Eldon J. Epp defines what is a significant/insignificant reading, and
      recommends some limitations, he writes concerning orthographic differences:

      "Mere orthographic differences, particularly itacism and nu-movables (as
      well as abbreviations) are 'insignificant' as here defined; they cannot be
      utilized in any decisive way for establishing manuscript relationships, and
      they are not substantive in the search for the original text. Again, the
      exception might be the work of a slavish scribe, whose scrupulousness might
      be considered useful in tracing manuscript descent, but the pervasive
      character of itacism, for example, over wide areas and time-spans precludes
      the 'significance' of orthographic differences for this important
      text-critical task. Nor is 'correct' spelling a material issue when
      establishing the original text, provided, of course, that no ambiguity in
      meaning results from the alternative spelling formulations. There is,
      however, a genuine area of exception, and that concerns the spelling of
      proper nouns; some classic text-critical and historical problems turn on the
      forms of names for persons or places, and both experience and prudence
      suggest that, other things being equal, these particular orthographic
      differences be preserved in the critical apparatus and as part of the
      'significant' data of textual criticism." (page 58-59)

      Perhaps this quotation could be of some help.

      With regards

      Tommy Wasserman
      Swedish student of Theology

      ---
      You are currently subscribed to tc-list as: listsaver-of-tc-list@...
    • Maurice A. Robinson
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 14, 2000
        On Sat, 12 Feb 2000 00:55:39 +0000 "Tommy Wasserman"
        <wasserman@...> writes:

        [quoting Epp]

        >"Mere orthographic differences, particularly itacism and nu-movables
        >(as well as abbreviations) are 'insignificant' as here defined; they
        >cannot be utilized in any decisive way for establishing manuscript
        >relationships, and they are not substantive in the search for the
        original text.
        >Again, the exception might be the work of a slavish scribe, whose
        scrupulousness
        >might be considered useful in tracing manuscript descent

        There remain reasons for noting these features in collations, however.
        For example, it certainly is easier to postulate confusion of nomina
        sacra with one another as opposed to the whole word form. Also, the
        Nu-suspended at the end of a line can be omitted far easier than a Nu
        written fully (and this does not always affect movable Nu). Itacistic
        patterns, on the other hand, characterize a scribe, and can be useful for
        evaluating the weight of a given MS in a particular variant where scribal
        tendencies may play a role (e.g. Rom. 5:1 ECOMEN vs ECWMEN, for which, so
        far as I know, no one has attempted an evaluation of the tendencies of
        the witnesses on either side regarding the O/W interchange; a MS with
        such tendencies becomes of little or no weight in such instances).

        One case (within my frame of knowledge) where nomina sacra become
        significant for grouping is among the MSS of the Pericope Adulterae, in
        which certain MSS always write IHSOUS plene throughout the pericope, but
        write KURIE by nomen sacrum. Based on their other variants, all such MSS
        appear to be derived from a common exemplar or archetype which happened
        to follow that pattern in the nomina sacra abbreviations, which thus
        served as a first clue toward grouping.

        Maurice A. Robinson
        Professor of NT and Greek
        Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary
        Wake Forest, North Carolina