[tc-list] Orthography

  • Wieland Willker
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 11, 2000
      What is the current status regarding spelling variants, itacisms etc.
      for the establishment of MSS relationships?
      On the one hand Colwell repeatedly argued that they are worthless (see
      his article on scribal habits in P45, P66 and P75). On the other hand he
      once said to R. Swanson (see introduction) that they are of "ultimate
      value".
      And what about the "eipan/eipon" (3rd P. Plu.) variants? Several of
      these are even in the NA text. Are they important? (Only the hardcore
      Alexandrian witnesses support constantly this type of variant.) Should
      they be retained in the text? Is there any study about this?

      Best wishes
      Wieland

    • Stephen C. Carlson
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 11, 2000
        At 12:48 PM 2/11/00 +0100, Wieland Willker wrote:
        >What is the current status regarding spelling variants, itacisms etc.
        >for the establishment of MSS relationships?

        Richards' dissertation spent a lot of effort showing that these
        kinds of variants are not genetic, i.e., not useful for establishing
        MSS relationships.

        Stephen Carlson
        --
        Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@...

        ---
        You are currently subscribed to tc-list as: listsaver-of-tc-list@...
      • Wieland Willker
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 12, 2000
          Thanks Tommy Wasserman for this quote.
          I too think that spelling of names can be important, I remind you of the
          spelling of Mariam/Maria which I posted recently and which seems to
          indicate that different Marias were spelled differently (maybe).

          So, if spelling of verbs is of no value, what about the eipan/eipon
          variants?

          Best wishes
          Wieland

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 12, 2000
            On 2/12/00, Wieland Willker wrote:

            >Thanks Tommy Wasserman for this quote.
            >I too think that spelling of names can be important, I remind you of the
            >spelling of Mariam/Maria which I posted recently and which seems to
            >indicate that different Marias were spelled differently (maybe).
            >
            >So, if spelling of verbs is of no value, what about the eipan/eipon
            >variants?

            It's worth noting, in this connection, that there are several sorts
            of scribes, and several ways of copying. Some scribes, it is clear,
            copied letter by letter, others syllable by syllable or word by
            word. In addition, there were scribes who were good spellers and
            some who were not (look at the several scribes of Aleph).

            If you get a scribe who is a careful letter-by-letter copyist,
            then you will have a copy of the exemplar close enough that
            these orthographic variants are important.

            But there is a key point here: Orthographic variants are of
            significance *only as long as this is true.* If you get one
            scribe who corrects aorist endings, or whatever, then *from that
            point on in the transmission*, orthography becomes meaningless.

            And by looking at all the carelessly-copied manuscripts in the
            world (Aleph, written primarily by a scribe who could not spell;
            L and Theta and 28, copied by scribes who were not really fluent
            in Greek, etc.), it is clear that orthography cannot be used
            as a tool in large-group studies.

            Orthography *can* be useful in small-group studies such as
            manuscript families. But even here, we must take great care
            to test the style of copying used by the scribe.

            ---
            You are currently subscribed to tc-list as: listsaver-of-tc-list@...