[tc-list] Re: Swanson's Kephalaia and Titloi Lists

  • Maurice A. Robinson
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 7, 2000
      On Sat, 5 Feb 2000 16:21:35 EST OteroFam3@... writes:

      This was not answered in the Eusebian canon response,

      >do the lists entitled KEPHALAIA and TITLOI appear at the beginning of
      >various manuscripts the way they are put together in Swanson's
      >(similar to our "Table of Contents"), or is this done for the sake of
      reference,

      Yes, they do appear before the main text of the gospel in the MSS which
      contain them (not all do, especially not the early MSS). However, unlike
      Swanson, the KEPHALAIA list (along with a BIOS or HUPOTHESIS) generally
      precedes the formal title of the book, since the title (usually with some
      more ornate decoration) leads directly into the main text of the gospel.
      Swanson for convenience places the book title ahead of the KEPHALAIA and
      TITLOI list.

      Maurice A. Robinson
      Professor of NT and Greek
      Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary
      Wake Forest, North Carolina