[tc-list] Re: Eusebian Canon Tables [was Swanson's ed.of Mark}

  • Kevin W. Woodruff
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 5 1:44 PM
      Esteban:

      Eusebius divided the four gospels insto small units (called sections or
      pericopes) by content and organized them into ten _canons_. Canon I (Roman
      numeral 1) lists the pericopes represented in all four gospels, canons II-IV
      list the pericopes that are found in three gospels, canon V-IX the pericope
      found in only two of the gospels, and canon X list thes pericopes that are
      peculiar to each gospel. The Eusebian section and canon number are printed
      on the inner margin (next to the spine) of the NA27

      Hope this helps,

      Kevin

      At 04:21 PM 2/5/2000 EST, you wrote:
      >Dear List Members,
      > I am a relatively new member to the list as well a virtual novice in
      >textual criticism, so I apologize if my questions are either ignorant or
      >irrelevant. I just recently received my copy of Swanson's Greek NT
      >Manuscripts-Mark (about which I am too excited!!) and I would like to make
      >sure I know what I am looking at.
      > First, do the lists entitled KEPHALAIA and TITLOI appear at the beginning
      >of various manuscripts the way they are put together in Swanon's (similar to
      >our "Table of Contents"), or is this done for the sake of reference, cf.
      >pages 1-5.
      > Second, what are the Eusebian canon tables (this question may come closer
      >to ignorance)? I don't have NA27 yet, and UBS doesn't list them. I know I can
      >find some info in my dictionaries, but I believe this is an excellent
      >resource as well. If this needs to be answered off list, please do so.
      > Thank you very much in advance.
      >
      >Esteban Otero
      >oterofam3@...
      >Tampa, USA
      >
      >---
      >You are currently subscribed to tc-list as: cierpke@...

      Kevin W. Woodruff, M.Div.
      Library Director/Reference Librarian
      Professor of New Testament Greek
      Cierpke Memorial Library
      1815 Union Ave.
      Chattanooga, Tennessee 37404
      United States of America
      423/493-4252 (office)
      423/698-9447 (home)
      423/493-4497 (FAX)
      Cierpke@... (preferred)
      kwoodruf@... (alternate)

      ---
      You are currently subscribed to tc-list as: listsaver-of-tc-list@...
    • Carlton Winbery
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 5 3:25 PM
        Kevin W. Woodruff wrote;

        >Eusebius divided the four gospels insto small units (called sections or
        >pericopes) by content and organized them into ten _canons_. Canon I (Roman
        >numeral 1) lists the pericopes represented in all four gospels, canons II-IV
        >list the pericopes that are found in three gospels, canon V-IX the pericope
        >found in only two of the gospels, and canon X list thes pericopes that are
        >peculiar to each gospel. The Eusebian section and canon number are printed
        >on the inner margin (next to the spine) of the NA27

        Just a technical point. I think Eusebius used the numbers for each pericope
        put in by Ammonius.

        Dr. Carlton L. Winbery
        Foggleman Professor of Religion
        Louisiana College