Re: TC articles display Greek & Hebrew

  • Stephen C Carlson
    Message 1 of 1714 , Aug 7, 1996
      James R. Adair wrote:
      >I'm glad to know that the fonts work with Internet Explorer as well as
      >Netscape. As for the aesthetic qualities of the fonts, I make no claim to
      >be a font designer, and any font designers on the list certainly have no
      >need to worry about competition ;). In fact, if someone wanted to design
      >a nicer looking Greek font, using the same character map as SPIonic, it
      >could be named SPIonic on the local system and substituted for our font,
      >thus improving the display. The important thing to remember is that the
      >character maps must match.

      Is the SPIonic font mapping unique, or did it borrow it from another
      font? I'm thinking of the Silver Mountain Software fonts and other
      packages. As far as I can understand the behavior of the HTML
      <FONT FACE=> tag, one is allowed to specify multiple font faces to be
      tried, e.g., <FONT FACE="SPIonic,Graeca">Mh=nin a)ei/de qea/</FONT>.
      But even that trick will only work if the character maps are identical.

      > If anyone runs across characters that don't
      >display properly (particularly on the screen, but also in print) in
      >either 10 or 12 point size, I would appreciate hearing about it. I have
      >in mind characters that are unrecognizable or just plain wrong, but I'll
      >be glad to at least consider improving particularly ugly letters.

      All I can remember offhand is that the dagesh in the beth is a bit off-
      center, but that may be due to fit the narrower gimel.

      Stephen Carlson
      --
      Stephen C. Carlson, George Mason University School of Law, Patent Track, 4LE
      scarlso1@... : Poetry speaks of aspirations, and songs
      Message 1714 of 1714 , Feb 4, 1997