Re: Is 1:25

  • Dave Washburn
    Message 1 of 1714 , Aug 7, 1996
      Tim McLay wrote in part:
      > E. Tov wrote The Text-Critical Use of the Septuagint in Biblical Research as
      > an introduction to this process. The work of Soisalon-Soininen, Anneli
      > Aejmelaeus, Raija Sollamo, Tov, Ulrich, Greenspoon and others is providing
      > the basis for using the LXX as a text-critical tool with confidence. Others
      > are working with other versions towards the same ends.
      >
      > So, my point was that we need to give equal weight to the witness of a
      > retroverted variant from a version as we give to MT when that retroverted
      > variant rests on a solid reconstruction.

      I just finished reviewing Sollamo's "Repetition of the Possessive
      Pronoun in the Septuagint" for the online journal TC, and it seems to
      me that in the majority of cases in that book she says we can't know
      for sure whether the translator took some liberties or had a
      different vorlage. I was quite impressed with her tentativeness at
      saying "this is what the translator's Hebrew text said;" in most
      cases it appears to be pretty much of an open question (I make this
      statement only regarding the specific passages in the Pentateuch that
      she treated in the book, not as a sweeping generalization).

      Dave Washburn
      http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur/home.html
      I realize the beans have to be counted. I just wish the
      bean counters would quit counting their beans in my pocket.
      Message 1714 of 1714 , Feb 4, 1997