Re: TC articles display Greek & Hebrew

  • James R. Adair
    Message 1 of 1714 , Aug 6, 1996
      On Tue, 6 Aug 1996, Stephen C Carlson wrote:

      > James R. Adair wrote:
      > >After more than two years of anticipation on my part, the display of
      > >Greek, Hebrew, and other non-Roman fonts is now possible on the World
      > >Wide Web.
      >
      > I have tested with both the Netscape Navigator 3.0 Beta (level 6) and
      > the Microsoft Internet Explorer 2.01, and for both of them it works
      > just great. My only complaint -- and it's a minor one -- is that the
      > fonts can be prettier.
      >
      > Stephen Carlson

      I'm glad to know that the fonts work with Internet Explorer as well as
      Netscape. As for the aesthetic qualities of the fonts, I make no claim to
      be a font designer, and any font designers on the list certainly have no
      need to worry about competition ;). In fact, if someone wanted to design
      a nicer looking Greek font, using the same character map as SPIonic, it
      could be named SPIonic on the local system and substituted for our font,
      thus improving the display. The important thing to remember is that the
      character maps must match. If anyone runs across characters that don't
      display properly (particularly on the screen, but also in print) in
      either 10 or 12 point size, I would appreciate hearing about it. I have
      in mind characters that are unrecognizable or just plain wrong, but I'll
      be glad to at least consider improving particularly ugly letters.

      Jimmy Adair
      General Editor of TC: A Journal of Biblical Textual Criticism
      ------> http://scholar.cc.emory.edu/scripts/TC/TC.html <-----
      Message 1714 of 1714 , Feb 4, 1997