Re: Is 1:25

  • CleonLR@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1714 , Aug 6, 1996
      Moshe Greenberg states in his commentary on Ezekiel is that unfortunately we
      only have one Hebrew text for most of the Hebrew Bible. All the other
      witnesses are only translations. To use them we have to "guess" (the
      technical word is retrovert) what the translator read as a Vorlage. To
      complicate things there are significant revisions -- as you probably know --
      in the LXX, so that it is almost incorrect (contrary to Intro courses) to
      speak of "The LXX." While the MT is not always correct, the TC problems
      often indicate an interpretative problem, not simply a transmission problem.
      The texts of the MT often transmit very early readings, though not always
      without error.

      Cleon L. Rogers III
      Wetzlar, Germany
      Message 1714 of 1714 , Feb 4, 1997