Re: Is 1:25

  • Dave Washburn
    Message 1 of 1714 , Jul 31 8:00 AM
      > The MT here reads "kabor" (as lye) but the emendation "bkr" (in the furnace)
      > has been suggested. The emendation seems to make emminently more sense than
      > the MT. So, should I follow the emendation in translation or should I let
      > the non-sensical reading stand?

      As has already been pointed out, it doesn't necessarily appear to be
      nonsensical. From a strictly TC POV, there isn't much to go on
      except speculation. LXX reads EIS KAQARON, "to purity," so it's not
      much help; 1QIsa(a) has a lacuna here so we don't know what it read,
      and I haven't been able to find any other DSS that preserve this
      passage. In the absence of any variant readings (BHS doesn't show
      any variants here either), and since the reading does apparently make
      sense of a sort, I would hesitate to emend based on such slim
      evidence.

      > Or, how often may we legitamately use emendation without feeling a pang of
      > guilt?

      As often as the text actually warrants it, which IMHO isn't very
      often...

      Dave Washburn
      http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur/home.html
      "I like being second in line because I can learn from
      other people's mistakes." -Naomi
      Message 1714 of 1714 , Feb 4, 1997