Text und Textwert series

  • Jeff Kloha
    Message 1 of 1714 , Nov 21, 1995
      Members of the tc-list:

      I am beginning work on a STM thesis on the text of James. Fresh
      collations are being made of the papyri and available uncials.
      However, I need a selection of representative minuscules to consult.
      The first volumes of the _Text und Textwert_ series analyze the
      Catholic Epistles. My question is: While the volumes present
      exhaustive studies of relationships among manuscripts in the "test
      passages", has any work been published using this data to determine
      exactly which manuscripts fall into special groupings? Have the Alands
      or their Institut produced any classifications of manuscripts, or have
      they simply supplied the data and left individuals to use their own
      theories to group manuscripts (e.g., Colwell's multiple readings or
      the Profile Method)?

      The paper on "Categories and Text Types" by B. Aland published in the
      second ed. of _Text of the New Testament_ simply explains their
      classification of mss. into "categories" I, II, III, IV, and V. Is
      that as precise as one can get using the "test passages", or can
      actual "families" be determined using the _Text und Textwert_ data?

      Thank you for your assistance.

      Jeff Kloha
      Lakewood, OH

      kloha@...