Re: parthenos in Isa 7:14

  • Carlton Winbery
    Message 1 of 1714 , Dec 28, 1995
      Jimmy Adair wrote;
      >Those of you on the Ioudaios list have already seen some discussion on
      >this subject, but I think more could be said from a text-critical
      >perspective. Does the fact that the LXX was transmitted exclusively by
      >Christians (after a certain point) imply that parthenos was substituted
      >in all available LXX mss in Isa 7:14 on the basis of Mt 1:23, replacing
      >the earlier neanis? I doubt it myself. If not, then can we say with
      >certainty that parthenos means "virgin" in Isa 7:14 rather than "young
      >woman"? Again, I have my doubts.

      I do not have a critical text of the LXX at home, but I am unaware of any
      mss of the LXX that read NEANIS instead of PARQENOS. That does not
      absolutely rule out the possibility but makes it unlikely. I would say
      that the Hebrew ALMAH means young woman and the Greek word PARQENOS
      normally means virgin. The evidence that ALMAH does not refer to a virgin
      in Is. 7 is the context in which that birth (or the child that was born)
      was a "sign" to Ahaz. It is possible that the translator of the LXX did
      not know the appropriate word for young woman in Greek. Later Greek
      translators avoid the word PARQENOS at this point.

      I posted this to the b-greek list by mistake.
      Sorry,

      Carlton L. Winbery
      Prof. Religion
      LA College, Pineville, La