[tc-list] Re: LXX

  • Ron Minton
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 4, 2000
      Date sent: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 10:07:53 -0800 (PST)
      From: "Gregory J. Woodhouse" <news1!gjw@...>
      To: "TC-List" <tc-list@...-certr.org>
      Subject: [tc-list] Re: LXX
      Very interesting. What can be said about similarities between NT
      mss. (which?) and LXX mss. here? Gregory Woodhouse
      gjw@... / http://www.wnetc.com/home.html
      -------------------------------------
      A few years ago, I read a paper on this at an SBL Regional
      meeting in St. Louis (March 23, 1996). There are only 19 places in
      the UBSGNT/NA/Maj texts where the NT has both an OT quotation
      and a textual variant in the quoted part. These are a small number,
      but the Maj. Text tends to quote from Hebrew more and the Cr.
      Text tends to quote from the LXX more. The Maj. Text deviates
      from both the Heb and LXX 26%. The Cr. Text does so 74%. I did
      not feel that there was solid evidence that either had been modified
      by scribes for the purpose of conforming to a certain OT text. For
      details, see my SBL paper. The chart below is simplified from the
      paper; it did not survive the transmission well, but is still useful.
      Below the Scripture references is found the Maj. then the Cr. For
      example, in the first entry, the Maj. follows the LXX and the Cr.
      follows the Hebrew. My comments then follow.

      NT TEXTUAL FAMILY VARIANTS
      OF OT QUOTATIONS

      NT/OT PASSAGE

      BYZANTINE (MAJORITY)

      ALEXANDRIAN (UBS4/NA27)

      NOTES AND COMMENTS

      Mt. 2:18
      Jer. 31:15

      LXX

      Hebrew

      The Maj. mss. add "lamentation" to follow the LXX.

      Mk. 10:6-7
      Gen. 2:24

      LXX/Heb

      Deviates

      UBS4 {D} text is in brackets, but clearly
      attested in LXX, Heb, Maj.

      Mk. 12:36
      Ps. 110:1

      LXX/Heb

      Deviates

      See Mt. 22:44 - same Cr. deviant; UBS4 does not
      list a variant.

      Mk. 15:34
      Ps. 22:1

      Hebrew

      Hebrew

      Minor variant; both Alex. and Byz. evidence divided.

      Lk. 4:4
      Dt. 8:3

      LXX/Heb

      Deviates

      Cr. here omits key phrase from OT & the Maj.

      Lk. 19:38
      Ps. 118:26

      Deviates

      Deviates

      Both texts add the word "king" not found in OT.
      Actual variant is minor.

      Jn. 12:40
      Is. 6:10

      Hebrew

      Hebrew

      Minor variants in verb forms; little effect on meaning.

      Jn. 13:18
      Ps. 41:9

      Deviates

      LXX/Heb

      Maj. has "bread with me" where OT, Cr. have "my bread."

      Acts 7:32
      Ex. 3:4-10

      LXX/Heb

      Deviates

      Cr. shortens quote by omitting phrase "the God of" twice.

      Rom. 3:12
      Ps. 14:1-3
      Ps. 53:1-3

      LXX/Heb

      Deviates

      UBS4 {C} text is in brackets, but clearly
      attested reading. Slight deviation from OT.

      Rom. 9:28
      Is. 10:22-3
      Hos. 1:10

      LXX

      Deviates

      Cr. omits LXX phrase "cut it short in righteousness."

      Rom. 10:15
      Is. 52:7
      Na. 1:15

      LXX/Heb

      Deviates

      Cr. omits OT phrase; Maj. shows some division.

      1 Cor.15:55
      Hos. 13:14

      Deviates

      Deviates

      Both texts differ from OT in verb choice; Cr. "death" for "Hades."

      Eph. 4:8
      Ps. 68:18

      Deviates

      Deviates

      Variant is minor. Both texts show intentional deviation by Paul.

      Heb. 1:8
      Ps. 45:6-7

      LXX/Heb

      LXX/Heb

      Minor variant

      19Heb. 1:12
      Ps.102:25-6

      LXX

      Deviates

      Cr. has "as a garment," not found in OT.11 The New Testament
      only quotes the last portion of thi the first part of the LXX which is
      not being quoted (or, perhaps, reverts to the Hebrew word order)

      Heb.
      2:7 Ps. 8:5-7

      Deviates

      Deviates

      Both texts follow partial quote; part of Maj. has full quote.

      Heb. 8:11
      Jer.31:31-4

      LXX/Heb

      Deviates

      Cr. omits "of them" found in OT & Maj.

      Heb. 10:38
      Hab. 2:3-4

      LXX

      Deviates

      Cr. adds "my" not found in OT or Maj.; otherwise, LXX

      one miserable scribbler,
      Ron Minton

      ---
      You are currently subscribed to tc-list as: ListSaver-of-tc-list@...