[tc-list] Re: Codex capacity (four gospels)

  • hilkap@juno.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 30, 1999
      On Thu, 30 Dec 1999 13:13:04 -0600 "Robert B. Waltz"
      <waltzmn@...> writes:

      > A codex comprised of multiple quires (gatherings of four sheets,
      > or sixteen pages, became normal) has the advantage that you don't
      > need to know in advance how thick the book will be, and you don't
      > have to worry about breaking spines or trimmed edges or inner
      > leaves sticking out.

      You can get a pretty good idea of how this works by looking down
      on the spine of a modern hard back book. You can see the individual
      "quires" at the bend where they are generally stitched to the fabric
      of the spine.

      The use glue for the cheaper paper-backs.

      I hate it when the pages of a well thumbed book start to fall out .

      HILL KAPLAN

      ---
      You are currently subscribed to tc-list as: ListSaver-of-tc-list@...