[tc-list] Codex capacity (four gospels)

  • Timothy John Finney
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 30, 1999
      Annette Reed mentions the earliest date for a four-gospel codex. While
      pondering such matters, I noticed the following strange phenomenon:

      If you plot relative size versus estimated date of publication for Luke,
      Pauls's letters, the four gospels and the entire New Testament, you get a
      straight line.

      Before I go further, I should explain how I arrived at the estimated
      publication dates:

      Luke: 60 CE -- published soon after the events mentioned at the end
      of Acts.

      Pauline letters: 100 CE -- see Zuntz, Text of the Epistles, 1953, 14.

      Four gospels: 160 CE -- twenty years before Irenaeus' defence

      Entire NT: 350 CE -- twenty years before Athanasius' canon list

      No doubt, long arguments could be had over each one of the above. Kenyon
      (Chester Beatty biblical papyri, fasc. 1, 1933, 13) thought that Irenaeus'
      defence may be evidence that four gospel codices already existed when he
      wrote. One comment I would like to add -- Tatian may have been tempted to
      make a gospel harmony around 150 CE because maximum codex size had, by
      then, almost reached the size required for all four gospels. A harmony
      would fit whereas the gospels themselves would not.

      As far as relative sizes are concerned (taking Paul's letters as a
      reference), counting pages of the UBS text leads to:

      Luke: 0.54
      Paul: 1.00
      Gospels: 1.79
      NT: 3.83

      Plot the relative sizes against the estimated dates and you get a
      reasonably straight line.

      So what?

      Maybe codex capacity was developing in a linear fashion. Luke, being an
      innovative soul, used a codex note-pad like the one's that Paul used.
      (Speculation heaped upon speculation.) The gospel might even have been
      tailored to the available capacity. Paul's letters were published once
      codex capacity sufficed to hold them. The four gospels had to wait
      another fifty years for codex capacity to increase to the required point.
      But as soon as the technology became available, it was put to good use.

      I have made the assumption that Irenaeus was defending an established four
      gospel codex tradition -- hence the twenty years lead time. The same
      reasoning stands behind my speculation that codices of the entire NT began
      to circulate some twenty years before Athanasius published his canon list.

      The four data points relate to papyrus codices. The last one (350, 3.83)
      is located around the time that large capacity parchment codices began to
      appear (e.g. Sinaiticus, Vaticanus). I wonder whether there ever was a
      papyrus codex of the entire NT?

      Tim Finney

      You are currently subscribed to tc-list as: ListSaver-of-tc-list@...