[tc-list] Re: LXX

    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 28, 1999
      On 12/28/99, Gregory J. Woodhouse wrote:

      >Very interesting. Wht can be said about similarities between NT
      >mss. (which?) and LXX mss. here?

      It's very hard, based on what I've seen, to correlate NT text-types
      with LXX readings.

      However, I've read -- and what I've seen in Paul seems to support
      this -- that the NT more often quotes the readings of the A text
      of LXX than the B text. (This is based just on Rahlfs, I'm afraid.)
      That is, the LXX text circulating in NT times seems not to be the
      "Old Greek" as originally translated, but rather the somewhat
      revised later versions.

      Come to think of it, this *might* have been what the original
      poster's source's original source said. Not that the NT quotes
      the Hebrew, but that the NT quotes the LXX texts which have been
      revised based on the Hebrew.

      ---
      You are currently subscribed to tc-list as: ListSaver-of-tc-list@...
    • U.B.Schmid
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 29, 1999
        rlmullen@... wrote:
        > For the Pauline Epistles, see Christopher D. Stanley, PAUL AND THE LANGUAGE
        > OF SCRIPTURE, SNTS Mongraph Series 74, (Cambridge, 1992).

        D.-A. Koch, Die Schrift als Zeuge des Evangeliums. Untersuchungen zur Verwendung
        und zum Verstaendnis der Schrift bei Paulus (BHTh 69), 1986 makes the point that
        Pauline texts occasionally give pre-hexaplaric *Textforms*.

      • Ron Minton
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 4, 2000
          Date sent: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 10:07:53 -0800 (PST)
          From: "Gregory J. Woodhouse" <news1!gjw@...>
          To: "TC-List" <tc-list@...-certr.org>
          Subject: [tc-list] Re: LXX
          Very interesting. What can be said about similarities between NT
          mss. (which?) and LXX mss. here? Gregory Woodhouse
          gjw@... / http://www.wnetc.com/home.html
          -------------------------------------
          A few years ago, I read a paper on this at an SBL Regional
          meeting in St. Louis (March 23, 1996). There are only 19 places in
          the UBSGNT/NA/Maj texts where the NT has both an OT quotation
          and a textual variant in the quoted part. These are a small number,
          but the Maj. Text tends to quote from Hebrew more and the Cr.
          Text tends to quote from the LXX more. The Maj. Text deviates
          from both the Heb and LXX 26%. The Cr. Text does so 74%. I did
          not feel that there was solid evidence that either had been modified
          by scribes for the purpose of conforming to a certain OT text. For
          details, see my SBL paper. The chart below is simplified from the
          paper; it did not survive the transmission well, but is still useful.
          Below the Scripture references is found the Maj. then the Cr. For
          example, in the first entry, the Maj. follows the LXX and the Cr.
          follows the Hebrew. My comments then follow.

          NT TEXTUAL FAMILY VARIANTS
          OF OT QUOTATIONS

          NT/OT PASSAGE

          BYZANTINE (MAJORITY)

          ALEXANDRIAN (UBS4/NA27)

          NOTES AND COMMENTS

          Mt. 2:18
          Jer. 31:15

          LXX

          Hebrew

          The Maj. mss. add "lamentation" to follow the LXX.

          Mk. 10:6-7
          Gen. 2:24

          LXX/Heb

          Deviates

          UBS4 {D} text is in brackets, but clearly
          attested in LXX, Heb, Maj.

          Mk. 12:36
          Ps. 110:1

          LXX/Heb

          Deviates

          See Mt. 22:44 - same Cr. deviant; UBS4 does not
          list a variant.

          Mk. 15:34
          Ps. 22:1

          Hebrew

          Hebrew

          Minor variant; both Alex. and Byz. evidence divided.

          Lk. 4:4
          Dt. 8:3

          LXX/Heb

          Deviates

          Cr. here omits key phrase from OT & the Maj.

          Lk. 19:38
          Ps. 118:26

          Deviates

          Deviates

          Both texts add the word "king" not found in OT.
          Actual variant is minor.

          Jn. 12:40
          Is. 6:10

          Hebrew

          Hebrew

          Minor variants in verb forms; little effect on meaning.

          Jn. 13:18
          Ps. 41:9

          Deviates

          LXX/Heb

          Maj. has "bread with me" where OT, Cr. have "my bread."

          Acts 7:32
          Ex. 3:4-10

          LXX/Heb

          Deviates

          Cr. shortens quote by omitting phrase "the God of" twice.

          Rom. 3:12
          Ps. 14:1-3
          Ps. 53:1-3

          LXX/Heb

          Deviates

          UBS4 {C} text is in brackets, but clearly
          attested reading. Slight deviation from OT.

          Rom. 9:28
          Is. 10:22-3
          Hos. 1:10

          LXX

          Deviates

          Cr. omits LXX phrase "cut it short in righteousness."

          Rom. 10:15
          Is. 52:7
          Na. 1:15

          LXX/Heb

          Deviates

          Cr. omits OT phrase; Maj. shows some division.

          1 Cor.15:55
          Hos. 13:14

          Deviates

          Deviates

          Both texts differ from OT in verb choice; Cr. "death" for "Hades."

          Eph. 4:8
          Ps. 68:18

          Deviates

          Deviates

          Variant is minor. Both texts show intentional deviation by Paul.

          Heb. 1:8
          Ps. 45:6-7

          LXX/Heb

          LXX/Heb

          Minor variant

          19Heb. 1:12
          Ps.102:25-6

          LXX

          Deviates

          Cr. has "as a garment," not found in OT.11 The New Testament
          only quotes the last portion of thi the first part of the LXX which is
          not being quoted (or, perhaps, reverts to the Hebrew word order)

          Heb.
          2:7 Ps. 8:5-7

          Deviates

          Deviates

          Both texts follow partial quote; part of Maj. has full quote.

          Heb. 8:11
          Jer.31:31-4

          LXX/Heb

          Deviates

          Cr. omits "of them" found in OT & Maj.

          Heb. 10:38
          Hab. 2:3-4

          LXX

          Deviates

          Cr. adds "my" not found in OT or Maj.; otherwise, LXX

          one miserable scribbler,
          Ron Minton

          ---
          You are currently subscribed to tc-list as: ListSaver-of-tc-list@...