[tc-list] RE: the text of the gospels in 2nd c.

  • Annette Reed
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 28, 1999
      I was wondering if anyone could point me to good secondary sources
      concerning the nature of the text of the four gospels in the second century
      CE. I need some general information about this, for a footnote in a work on
      a related subject (the use of the term euaggelion in Ireneaus' _Against
      Heresies_) and have just read conflicting assessments in two articles
      collected in the volume _Gospel Traditions in the Second Century_, by
      Koester (very fluid) and Wisse (rather fixed). However, I do not have enough
      background in NT textual criticism to confidently assess their arguments. Is
      there a general, scholarly consensus on this matter or is it argued? Or,
      since there are no manuscripts extant from that century (except the very
      tiny P54), is the issue discussed only in a purely speculative fashion?

      Thank you in advance for your help.

      Best wishes,

      Annette Yoshiko Reed
      E-mail - areed@...