[tc-list] Mk 10.21 in an Arabic ms

  • jean.valentin@freebel.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 22, 1999
      I wonder if this variant occurs in other manuscripts. In an Arabic ms which
      I study, there's an insertion in Mk 10.21. After "If you want to be
      perfect, you miss one thing", this ms inserts "and he (the rich man) said
      to him: Which one is it? And Jesus told him"; then comes the rest of the
      verse, with "Go and sell all your goods etc...". There's at least an
      interesting effect to that variant as the dialogue seems more lively!
      I must add that at the end of verse 20, this Arabic ms follows the Greek
      mss and versions which harmonise with Mt 19.20 and adds the question "What
      do I still miss?".
      It is possible that the Arabic translator or scribe was inspired by verse
      20 when he made this addition in verse 21, but yet I'd like to be sure that
      there's no other manuscript that has it. I didn't find it so far in the
      versions & harmonies that I've consulted. Does this insertion in Mk 10.21
      remind you of another such variant? Knowing the most probable sources of my
      ms, I would search in Old syriac citations and witnesses to the Diatessaron
      and the Western text, but have not found any parallel as yet.
      I take this opportunity to wish all TC-ers a happy and holy Christmas & a
      happy new year 2000 full of interesting discoveries! Salaam alaykum!

      Jean Valentin
      jean.valentin@...

      ---
      You are currently subscribed to tc-list as: listsaver-of-tc-list@...