tc-list Should we use...

  • Mitchell Gray
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 7, 1999
      Hello,

      I'm new to TC list and have a question. I was talking to this one guy I
      know who said that they should use the definite article when translating
      things like John 1:1. In other words, he believes that John 1:1 (for
      example ONLY!) should be translated like so: "In the beginning was the
      Word and the Word was with *the* God, and god was the Word." Would this be
      overkill? Just wondering.

      Best,
      Mitchell
    • Lamerson, Sam
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 8, 1999
        MItchell,

        This is not a T/C question so my answer will be brief. One cannot make a
        one for one transference between two languages. Otherwise you would end up
        with phrases like "The Jesus" or "The Simon." Anyone who tries to argue for
        a one to one transference simply has not done any translation work and does
        not understand the Greek language.

        Sam

        Professor Sam Lamerson
        Knox Theological Seminary