Re: tc-list 1 Cor 14:33b-35 et al. in Codex Vaticanus -- SBL paper

  • Maurice A. Robinson
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 7, 1999
      On Mon, 06 Dec 1999 13:46:21 PST "Bruce Prior" <n7rr@...> writes:

      >A very pricey color facsimile of B is scheduled for publication at about
      Easter, 2000. >It will be published in Rome by Istituto Poligrafico e
      Zecca Stato and sold for
      >9,500,000 ITL.

      Out of curiosity, what does this come out to in US dollars? (Our library
      wants to know).

      [Re: Payne's paper on the umlauts in Vaticanus:]

      >These eleven umlauts demonstrate that their scribe was aware
      >of textual variants and regarded them noteworthy. The importance and
      >obviousness of many of the known variants in lines marked by umlauts
      make it >probable that many of them are the variants the scribe of
      Vaticanus was noting.
      >Consequently, these umlauts open a window that gives insights into the
      >history of the text before Vaticanus. They give a statistical basis for
      the
      >first time for concluding that manuscripts have survived that contain
      >the majority of variants that were available to the scribe of Vaticanus.

      >They justify a greater confidence than we had prior to this discovery
      that
      >sufficient evidence has survived to permit reproduction of the
      >autographic form of the NT text with a high degree of reliability.

      While I would not concur with the concept that the Vaticanus umlauts give
      either "the majority of variants that were available to the scribe of
      Vaticanus" nor that this in any way (assuming their validity) reflects
      "sufficient evidence ... to permit reproduction of the autographic form
      of the NT text" with any "high degree of reliability," the umlaut
      situation, if original to the scribe of Vaticanus, does appear to be
      significant (contra Niccum, who attributed these marks to Sepulveda).

      I currently have a Ph. D. student whose dissertation concerns all the
      umlauts which appear in Codex Vaticanus, determining (a) whether extant
      known variants exist within each umlauted line, (b) whether more than one
      variant reading is a factor at each umlaut location, (c) ascertaining the
      most probable variant in such cases, and (d) tabulating the results in
      regard to texttype alignment.and shared witnesses to both the Vaticanus
      and umlaut presumed reading. From what I have seen in his preliminary
      samples, this should prove to be an interesting exploration, perhaps with
      significant results.

      Maurice A. Robinson
      Professor of NT and Greek
      Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary
      Wake Forest, North Carolina

    • Wieland Willker
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 9, 1999
        If those dots in Codex Vaticanus really indicate significant variant
        readings, then they seem to be in many cases the earliest manuscript
        evidence for a variant. This is a remarkable discovery!
        Do you think this evidence should be added to a GNT apparatus?

        Best wishes
        Wieland
        <><
        ------------------------
        Wieland Willker
        mailto:willker@...-bremen.de
        http://purl.org/WILLKER/index.html
      • Bruce Prior
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 9, 1999
          TCers --
          The full paper will appear in the May, 2000 issue of NOVUM TESTAMENTUM.
          I think it would be wise to let the NT community react to the published
          paper before changing the GNT, NA and other apparati. Meanwhile, the
          research subject is certainly worth pursuing.
          J. Bruce Prior in Blaine, WA