tc-list 1 Cor 14:33b-35 et al. in Codex Vaticanus -- SBL paper

  • Bruce Prior
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 6, 1999
      TCers --
      I haven't seen discussion about interesting developments at SBL. There
      were several, one of which was read by Philip B. Payne. The abstract is
      reproduced below. Payne claims to have opened a new avenue of research at
      least in the NT portion of Codex Vaticanus. A very pricey color facsimile
      of B is scheduled for publication at about Easter, 2000. It will be
      published in Rome by Istituto Poligrafico e Zecca Stato and sold for 9 500
      000 ITL. The title is Bibliorum Sacrorum Graecorum: Codex Vaticanus B.
      Casalini Libri is handling the sales:
      http://www.casalini.it
      J. Bruce Prior in Blaine, WA USA

      "The Originality of Text-Critical Symbols in Codex Vaticanus"
      Philip B. Payne, Linguist�s Software, P.O. Box 580, Edmonds, WA 98020-0580
      phil@...
      Slightly modified abstract for a paper given at session S63 at the Annual
      Meeting of the American Academy of Religion and the Society of Biblical
      Literature, Boston, 1999-11-21

      [Note: an amplified version of this paper has been accepted for publication
      in NOVUM TESTAMENTUM.]

      A scribe in the Middle Ages traced over the original ink of Codex
      Vaticanus. Unreinforced letters and symbols reveal the original ink. Some
      of the approximately 765 pairs of dots in the NT margins of Vaticanus were
      not reinforced. Direct examination with Paul Canart using an internally
      lighted, 7X magnifying lens established eleven instances in which the ink of
      these "umlauts" in the margin matches the original ink of the codex: 1339C
      line 42 (two), 1355B line 40, 1356B line 24, 1370A line 32, 1459C line 41,
      1466A line 25, 1466B line 6, 1468B line 3, 1475B line 11, 1499C line 42.
      Many are within a few centimeters of unreinforced text. Most mark the
      location of known textual variants.
      Since it never became conventional for scribes to use umlauts to mark
      textual variants, the same scribe whose original ink shows in these eleven
      umlauts probably also penned the umlauts which were later reinforced.
      Confirming this, the first dot of the reinforced umlaut by the line that
      concludes 1 Cor 14:33 has a small prolongation toward the left in a color
      more like the original text. This umlaut probably marks the key textual
      problem of verses 34-35, but not their Western displacement since there is
      no umlaut after 14:40. A manuscript omitting 14:34-35 best explains it.
      These eleven umlauts demonstrate that their scribe was aware of textual
      variants and regarded them noteworthy. The importance and obviousness of
      many of the known variants in lines marked by umlauts make it probable that
      many of them are the variants the scribe of Vaticanus was noting.
      Consequently, these umlauts open a window that gives insights into the
      history of the text before Vaticanus. They give a statistical basis for the
      first time for concluding that manuscripts have survived that contain the
      majority of variants that were available to the scribe of Vaticanus. They
      justify a greater confidence than we had prior to this discovery that
      sufficient evidence has survived to permit reproduction of the autographic
      form of the NT text with a high degree of reliability.

    • Maurice A. Robinson
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 7, 1999
        On Mon, 06 Dec 1999 13:46:21 PST "Bruce Prior" <n7rr@...> writes:

        >A very pricey color facsimile of B is scheduled for publication at about
        Easter, 2000. >It will be published in Rome by Istituto Poligrafico e
        Zecca Stato and sold for
        >9,500,000 ITL.

        Out of curiosity, what does this come out to in US dollars? (Our library
        wants to know).

        [Re: Payne's paper on the umlauts in Vaticanus:]

        >These eleven umlauts demonstrate that their scribe was aware
        >of textual variants and regarded them noteworthy. The importance and
        >obviousness of many of the known variants in lines marked by umlauts
        make it >probable that many of them are the variants the scribe of
        Vaticanus was noting.
        >Consequently, these umlauts open a window that gives insights into the
        >history of the text before Vaticanus. They give a statistical basis for
        the
        >first time for concluding that manuscripts have survived that contain
        >the majority of variants that were available to the scribe of Vaticanus.

        >They justify a greater confidence than we had prior to this discovery
        that
        >sufficient evidence has survived to permit reproduction of the
        >autographic form of the NT text with a high degree of reliability.

        While I would not concur with the concept that the Vaticanus umlauts give
        either "the majority of variants that were available to the scribe of
        Vaticanus" nor that this in any way (assuming their validity) reflects
        "sufficient evidence ... to permit reproduction of the autographic form
        of the NT text" with any "high degree of reliability," the umlaut
        situation, if original to the scribe of Vaticanus, does appear to be
        significant (contra Niccum, who attributed these marks to Sepulveda).

        I currently have a Ph. D. student whose dissertation concerns all the
        umlauts which appear in Codex Vaticanus, determining (a) whether extant
        known variants exist within each umlauted line, (b) whether more than one
        variant reading is a factor at each umlaut location, (c) ascertaining the
        most probable variant in such cases, and (d) tabulating the results in
        regard to texttype alignment.and shared witnesses to both the Vaticanus
        and umlaut presumed reading. From what I have seen in his preliminary
        samples, this should prove to be an interesting exploration, perhaps with
        significant results.

        Maurice A. Robinson
        Professor of NT and Greek
        Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary
        Wake Forest, North Carolina

      • Wieland Willker
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 9, 1999
          If those dots in Codex Vaticanus really indicate significant variant
          readings, then they seem to be in many cases the earliest manuscript
          evidence for a variant. This is a remarkable discovery!
          Do you think this evidence should be added to a GNT apparatus?

          Best wishes
          Wieland
          <><
          ------------------------
          Wieland Willker
          mailto:willker@...-bremen.de
          http://purl.org/WILLKER/index.html
        • Bruce Prior
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 9, 1999
            TCers --
            The full paper will appear in the May, 2000 issue of NOVUM TESTAMENTUM.
            I think it would be wise to let the NT community react to the published
            paper before changing the GNT, NA and other apparati. Meanwhile, the
            research subject is certainly worth pursuing.
            J. Bruce Prior in Blaine, WA