Re: tc-list UBS4 typos

  • Stephen C. Carlson
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 3, 1999
      At 11:59 AM 12/3/99 -0500, Harold P. Scanlin wrote:
      >GNT4 has now gone through three printings
      >(1993, 1994, 1998) and a number of typos have been eliminated. There are
      >more to be corrected, including those noted by Pete Williams.

      I've got the second printing. Is there a typo, page 158, s.v. Mark 10:1,
      n.1, in the apparatus, where MS "2747" is cited as support for the reading
      KAI PERAN -- instead of MS 2427? If so, is this one corrected in the
      third printing?

      Also, it appears that on the same page, s.v. Mark 9:49, n.11, in the
      apparatus, that the siglum Theta is missing from the reading (PURI
      ANALWQHSETAI). Is this a typo, too, and was it corrected in the 3rd
      printing?

      >The Bible Societies are grateful to all the careful readers who report
      >typographical errors.

      Thank you.

      Stephen Carlson
      --
      Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@...
    • Phil Long
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 8, 1999
        > I've got the second printing. Is there a typo, page 158, s.v. Mark 10:1,
        > n.1, in the apparatus, where MS "2747" is cited as support for the reading
        > KAI PERAN -- instead of MS 2427? If so, is this one corrected in the
        > third printing?

        I have the 2nd printing, (1994), I read 2474 as supporint KAI PERAN.

        > >The Bible Societies are grateful to all the careful readers who report
        > >typographical errors.

        Does anyone know if there is a public errata list maintained?

        Phillip J. Long
        Asst. Prof. Bible & Greek
        Grace Bible College
        Grand Rapids, MI
      • Mr. Gary S. Dykes
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 8, 1999
          Dear P. Long,

          First greetings to a Grace Bible College professor, may your tribe increase!

          No complete list of errors exist here on American soil. There are two types
          of errors -- typo and errors in reading their MSS (collation errors).

          Dr. Swanson has tabulated close to 1,000 errors in his works, notably in his
          appendices to Acts, and Galatians, unfortunately his collection of errors in
          the gospels has not been published. You might also refer to his article in
          the journal HARVARD THEOLOGICAL REVIEW, #61, 1968
          page 39ff.

          I have kept a few short lists, but gave up as I noticed over the years that
          the Institute was not correcting its new editions. In their letters of
          thanks to me, they acknowledged receipt of some of the errors I assisted
          them with, but they made no changes.

          In fact one of their prominent collators, told that he (i.e. they) had no
          qualms in using Von Soden's work in their readings!! If I recall they just
          simply reuse old collations over and over. Some of their newer work is
          improving, especially when they reexamine their labors. Their errors are
          also copied into their other data bases (such as the ANTF). I hope they
          clean up their work before investing in digital archiving of their past
          labors. Do not misunderstand me, I support the work in Munster, but I demand
          accuracy. It is a long and probably costly process to correct years and
          years of collations by various scholars and students, I hope they do it.

          For now, purchase your own films and do your own collations, and or triple
          check published editions, but do not blindly trust any.

          To date, Tregelles' edition and Tischendorf's 8th are very reliable, and
          Swanson's is being perfected and should become the standard for accuracy in
          the next millennium. The IGNTP work on John so far is excellent.

          As said before, these are my opinions for your information. Others will
          disagree in various ways.

          at your service,
          Mr. Gary S. Dykes
          visit this site:
          http://userzweb.lightspeed.net/yhwh3in1/
        • Stephen C. Carlson
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 8, 1999
            At 11:34 AM 12/8/99 -0500, Phil Long wrote:
            >> I've got the second printing. Is there a typo, page 158, s.v. Mark 10:1,
            >> n.1, in the apparatus, where MS "2747" is cited as support for the reading
            >> KAI PERAN -- instead of MS 2427? If so, is this one corrected in the
            >> third printing?
            >
            >I have the 2nd printing, (1994), I read 2474 as supporint KAI PERAN.

            How embarrassing of me to make a typo in a post about typos! Yes,
            you are indeed correct.

            Is there anyone with the third printing who would check to see if these
            typos have been corrected?

            Stephen Carlson
            --
            Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@...
          • Klaus Wachtel
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 9, 1999
              "Stephen C. Carlson" schrieb:

              > At 11:34 AM 12/8/99 -0500, Phil Long wrote:
              > >> I've got the second printing. Is there a typo, page 158, s.v. Mark 10:1,
              > >> n.1, in the apparatus, where MS "2747" is cited as support for the reading
              > >> KAI PERAN -- instead of MS 2427? If so, is this one corrected in the
              > >> third printing?
              > >
              > >I have the 2nd printing, (1994), I read 2474 as supporint KAI PERAN.
              >
              > How embarrassing of me to make a typo in a post about typos! Yes,
              > you are indeed correct.
              >
              > Is there anyone with the third printing who would check to see if these
              > typos have been corrected?
              >
              > Stephen Carlson
              > --
              > Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@...
              > Synoptic Problem Home Page http://www.mindspring.com/~scarlson/synopt/
              > "Poetry speaks of aspirations, and songs chant the words." Shujing 2.35

              The typo will be corrected in the fourth imprint. Thanks for the hint.

              Klaus Wachtel, INTF Muenster