tc-list UBS4 John 4:1

  • Harold P. Scanlin
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 3, 1999
      Pete Williams called attention to the following typo:

      > Is the lower case phi in Pharisees in UBS4 of John 4:1 a typo?

      Yes. I will forward this note to the German Bible Society. Any other
      likely typos spot can be forwarded directly to them.

      > I have been concerned about the typographical accuracy of UBS4 (e.g.
      heading
      > p. 156,

      This one still needs correcting: Read is for ist.

      > and verse number on John 1:25).

      So does this: Read 25 for 5

      > Can anyone tell me about the
      > typographical process of the production of UBS4?

      As Pete observes, the text of UBS4 is intended to be identical to
      UBS3(Corrected). Here's a bit of the background.

      All editions through UBS3 (Corrected) utilized the same plates produced
      from a specially commissioned typeface, called Porson. The differences
      between 3 and 3(Corr) dealt primarily with changing the punctuation to
      conform generally, but not totally, with the punctuation used in NA26.
      According to Kurt Aland, the punctuation system in NA26 reflected ancient
      punctuation style. GNT1-3 used what could be described as following modern
      (American) English punctuation usage. The discussion of how we know the
      principles of ancient Greek punctuation and whether a "modern" system is
      more useful, especially for students and translators, is another matter.
      This little history just explains how we got to where we are today.

      When GNT4 thoroughly reworked the apparatus it became necessary to reset
      the entire volume. Using the hot metal type system from the Porson days
      was no longer possible, so the entire book was electronically typeset. It
      seems to be inevitable, if regrettable, that a typesetting venture of this
      complexity introduces typographical errors. The switch to a new system of
      typesetting also explains why the font looks quite different, a change that
      many people have lamented. GNT4 has now gone through three printings
      (1993, 1994, 1998) and a number of typos have been eliminated. There are
      more to be corrected, including those noted by Pete Williams.

      The Bible Societies are grateful to all the careful readers who report
      typographical errors.

      Harold P. Scanlin
      Consultant on Scholarly Editions
      United Bible Societies
      1865 Broadway
      New York, NY 10023
      scanlin@...
    • Stephen C. Carlson
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 3, 1999
        At 11:59 AM 12/3/99 -0500, Harold P. Scanlin wrote:
        >GNT4 has now gone through three printings
        >(1993, 1994, 1998) and a number of typos have been eliminated. There are
        >more to be corrected, including those noted by Pete Williams.

        I've got the second printing. Is there a typo, page 158, s.v. Mark 10:1,
        n.1, in the apparatus, where MS "2747" is cited as support for the reading
        KAI PERAN -- instead of MS 2427? If so, is this one corrected in the
        third printing?

        Also, it appears that on the same page, s.v. Mark 9:49, n.11, in the
        apparatus, that the siglum Theta is missing from the reading (PURI
        ANALWQHSETAI). Is this a typo, too, and was it corrected in the 3rd
        printing?

        >The Bible Societies are grateful to all the careful readers who report
        >typographical errors.

        Thank you.

        Stephen Carlson
        --
        Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@...
      • Phil Long
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 8, 1999
          > I've got the second printing. Is there a typo, page 158, s.v. Mark 10:1,
          > n.1, in the apparatus, where MS "2747" is cited as support for the reading
          > KAI PERAN -- instead of MS 2427? If so, is this one corrected in the
          > third printing?

          I have the 2nd printing, (1994), I read 2474 as supporint KAI PERAN.

          > >The Bible Societies are grateful to all the careful readers who report
          > >typographical errors.

          Does anyone know if there is a public errata list maintained?

          Phillip J. Long
          Asst. Prof. Bible & Greek
          Grace Bible College
          Grand Rapids, MI
        • Mr. Gary S. Dykes
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 8, 1999
            Dear P. Long,

            First greetings to a Grace Bible College professor, may your tribe increase!

            No complete list of errors exist here on American soil. There are two types
            of errors -- typo and errors in reading their MSS (collation errors).

            Dr. Swanson has tabulated close to 1,000 errors in his works, notably in his
            appendices to Acts, and Galatians, unfortunately his collection of errors in
            the gospels has not been published. You might also refer to his article in
            the journal HARVARD THEOLOGICAL REVIEW, #61, 1968
            page 39ff.

            I have kept a few short lists, but gave up as I noticed over the years that
            the Institute was not correcting its new editions. In their letters of
            thanks to me, they acknowledged receipt of some of the errors I assisted
            them with, but they made no changes.

            In fact one of their prominent collators, told that he (i.e. they) had no
            qualms in using Von Soden's work in their readings!! If I recall they just
            simply reuse old collations over and over. Some of their newer work is
            improving, especially when they reexamine their labors. Their errors are
            also copied into their other data bases (such as the ANTF). I hope they
            clean up their work before investing in digital archiving of their past
            labors. Do not misunderstand me, I support the work in Munster, but I demand
            accuracy. It is a long and probably costly process to correct years and
            years of collations by various scholars and students, I hope they do it.

            For now, purchase your own films and do your own collations, and or triple
            check published editions, but do not blindly trust any.

            To date, Tregelles' edition and Tischendorf's 8th are very reliable, and
            Swanson's is being perfected and should become the standard for accuracy in
            the next millennium. The IGNTP work on John so far is excellent.

            As said before, these are my opinions for your information. Others will
            disagree in various ways.

            at your service,
            Mr. Gary S. Dykes
            visit this site:
            http://userzweb.lightspeed.net/yhwh3in1/
          • Stephen C. Carlson
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 8, 1999
              At 11:34 AM 12/8/99 -0500, Phil Long wrote:
              >> I've got the second printing. Is there a typo, page 158, s.v. Mark 10:1,
              >> n.1, in the apparatus, where MS "2747" is cited as support for the reading
              >> KAI PERAN -- instead of MS 2427? If so, is this one corrected in the
              >> third printing?
              >
              >I have the 2nd printing, (1994), I read 2474 as supporint KAI PERAN.

              How embarrassing of me to make a typo in a post about typos! Yes,
              you are indeed correct.

              Is there anyone with the third printing who would check to see if these
              typos have been corrected?

              Stephen Carlson
              --
              Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@...
            • Klaus Wachtel
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 9, 1999
                "Stephen C. Carlson" schrieb:

                > At 11:34 AM 12/8/99 -0500, Phil Long wrote:
                > >> I've got the second printing. Is there a typo, page 158, s.v. Mark 10:1,
                > >> n.1, in the apparatus, where MS "2747" is cited as support for the reading
                > >> KAI PERAN -- instead of MS 2427? If so, is this one corrected in the
                > >> third printing?
                > >
                > >I have the 2nd printing, (1994), I read 2474 as supporint KAI PERAN.
                >
                > How embarrassing of me to make a typo in a post about typos! Yes,
                > you are indeed correct.
                >
                > Is there anyone with the third printing who would check to see if these
                > typos have been corrected?
                >
                > Stephen Carlson
                > --
                > Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@...
                > Synoptic Problem Home Page http://www.mindspring.com/~scarlson/synopt/
                > "Poetry speaks of aspirations, and songs chant the words." Shujing 2.35

                The typo will be corrected in the fourth imprint. Thanks for the hint.

                Klaus Wachtel, INTF Muenster