tc-list Re: examining mss.

  • Prof. Glen L. Thompson
    Message 1 of 30 , Dec 3, 1999
      >I have heard that if you make arrangements ahead of time, and if >you have
      >credentials from a theological school (etc.) you can view things not
      >available to the regular public. Any truth to this?
      ->Bill Combs

      This is absolutely true, and holds for most of the libraries in Europe
      with manuscript collections. In August I spent several days at the
      British Library examing mss. The staff was very helpful and
      courteous in every way.

      However, if you want to see a really valuable mss, such as one of
      the great uncials, you had better get permission in advance, and
      that will mean getting some very well-known experts in the field to
      verify your need to see the mss. and your qualifications to do so.
      They will not allow the curious to touch such priceless treasures,
      but will rather put the facsimiles or microfilms of them at such a
      person's disposal.
      Glen Thompson